Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Engine performance issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2020, 05:58 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Big_george
​​​​​​

What do you mean by it wasn't tuned? Should i get a new egr and let it run normally?
I read alot of threads here that talk about how beneficial it is for performance to delete the egr.
The EGR has a cooling effect on the combustion process, which reduces oxides of nitrogen, but also helps prevent detonation. If you remove it, the mixture may need to be a little richer, or you might need a little less timing to compensate. The knock sensor will probably sense any detonation and back off the timing to prevent damage, but that isn't really ideal. Personally, I would replace the valve and run it the way it was intended to run, but that's just me.

I'm pretty sure the EGR doesn't even open at full throttle, so it won't make any difference in performance where it matters most.

Old 10-02-2020, 01:05 AM
Beginning Member
Big_george is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Tom A
The EGR has a cooling effect on the combustion process, which reduces oxides of nitrogen, but also helps prevent detonation. If you remove it, the mixture may need to be a little richer, or you might need a little less timing to compensate. The knock sensor will probably sense any detonation and back off the timing to prevent damage, but that isn't really ideal. Personally, I would replace the valve and run it the way it was intended to run, but that's just me.

I'm pretty sure the EGR doesn't even open at full throttle, so it won't make any difference in performance where it matters most.

You are right i am going to work on getting a new one and replacing it.
But still is it causing what is happening to the engine now? I mean the pressure valve was leaking and the blead down test shows a weak pump.

In addition can the egr affect the iat in a way the engine runs rich to compensate and therefore need more air which is where the "high input" code comes from?
Thank you
​​

Old 10-02-2020, 04:59 AM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

I don't think the EGR is causing your problems. And it wouldn't have any effect on the IAT. But both problems should be fixed if you want to properly diagnose the other issues.

Old 10-02-2020, 03:32 PM
Beginning Member

I don't think the EGR is causing your problems. And it wouldn't have any effect on the IAT. But both problems should be fixed if you want to properly diagnose the other issues.
You are absolutely right. In all cases the car has 230k on it and as far as i know never had a new part of any of the below.
The idea is that egr valves are a pain in the *** for maintenance as they break down alot and you have to take them out and clean them from carbon frequently.

As for the iat the mechanic says since the sensor itself is new that means that there must be a short circuit somewhere between it and the pcm. He also wants to test the pins of the pcm as he thinks pcms usually get busted as well.

Fixing the pressure valve on the spider was a good move right? I mean the plenum was flouded with fuel and got mixed with engine oil.

I also am thinking about the bleed down test if i really should get a new pump or no!?

Old 10-11-2020, 09:32 AM
Beginning Member

So i fixed the iat sensor issue the check engine light is gone. I also removed the plenum again no leaks and the spider lines don't seem ti be leaking.
After changing the fuel pressure valve on the spider the car runs smoother on low rpms, also the shivering while trying to slow down hill is gone.

However on coldstarts and after sitting for a couple of hrs it cranks long before starting up and shivers until it gets hot. It also throws out some carbon particles out the exhaust when i hit the gas.

Any suggestions?
​​​​