Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

engine question

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 02:45 PM
Beginning Member
kjmitchell is on a distinguished road
Default engine question

i have a 1999 blazer 4x4 and the engine blew..i bought a different engine and noticed one difference my old engine has a crank sensor on the timing cover and my new engine does not.everything is exactly the same except the sensor my question is what do i need to do to make the new one work? thanks

Old 05-31-2010, 10:50 PM
Beginning Member

anyone?

Old 06-01-2010, 06:01 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Could you provide the details on the replacement engine...?

In any of the '96+ engines, I do not recall a change in the CKP sensor location/orientation. And you definitely need a 96+ engine to swap into your truck.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:21 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Could you provide the details on the replacement engine...?

In any of the '96+ engines, I do not recall a change in the CKP sensor location/orientation. And you definitely need a 96+ engine to swap into your truck.
it's supposed to be out of a 98

Old 06-01-2010, 10:28 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If it was from a 98, there should be no physical differences between the two. The plastic front cover was introduced in mid-95 with the change to the EDI engine timing system.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:37 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
If it was from a 98, there should be no physical differences between the two. The plastic front cover was introduced in mid-95 with the change to the EDI engine timing system.
ok so if i change the cover i should be good?it's the same cover just one has a sensor on it

Old 06-01-2010, 10:38 PM
Administrator

If that really is a '98 block and not an earlier one... You have to closely inspect EVERYTHING with that engine.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:45 PM
Beginning Member

from what i can tell everything is the same and i can only pick one engine up at a time with my lift and i didn't want to have to set one down with the oil pan and timing cover off and mess something up

Old 06-01-2010, 11:02 PM
Administrator

Hopefully for your sake the reluctor ring is waiting inside the front cover on the end of the crank. If not...

Old 06-02-2010, 11:16 AM
Beginning Member

gonna check,if not i guess i will use my crank out of my old engine and get some new bearings

Quick Reply: engine question