Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Engine removal 4.3L automatic 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 09:19 AM
R Deschamps is on a distinguished road
Default Engine removal 4.3L automatic 4x4

What's the easiest way to remove the engine on a 98 Chevy Blazer 4.3L auto 4x4?

Old 01-21-2010, 09:56 AM
bigravenbob is on a distinguished road

it's not hard, and i did it by myself ('94 S10 pu 4x4)in a drive way so here is the procedure.Step one: go to your local or favorite autoparts store and get yourself a HAYNES or a CHILTONS manual or both and cross reference. follow the step by step directions and I promise you will have no problems at all or at least you shouldn't. it's really easy and both volumes will even give you pictures and tips to help you along good luck and have fun

Old 01-21-2010, 10:02 AM
R Deschamps is on a distinguished road

I don't need a manual I'm having a problem taking out the bell housing bolts at the back of engine near the fire wall which you can only feel. Should I just drop the sub-frame or what can anyone suggest anything else that is easier to do?

Old 01-21-2010, 01:55 PM
bigkhans is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by R Deschamps
I don't need a manual I'm having a problem taking out the bell housing bolts at the back of engine near the fire wall which you can only feel. Should I just drop the sub-frame or what can anyone suggest anything else that is easier to do?
undo the body mounts up front and under the cab, that will allow for more room to get to those bolts plus make engine removal easier.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:12 PM
Logan is on a distinguished road

Take out the tranny cross member allowing the engine/tranny to be on an angle.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:23 PM
Beginning Member
olei6085 is on a distinguished road

ya easiest way is to drop tranny an get an angle attachment with an extension

Old 01-28-2010, 08:56 PM
sparky672 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Logan
Take out the tranny cross member allowing the engine/tranny to be on an angle.
Your solution is ideal but that didn't work on my 95. The 4WD gearbox hits a welded frame member on the back. Everyone told me that I'd have to remove the gearbox in order to gain enough clearance to tilt down the Trans.

I was worried removal of the gearbox would create new problems so I found a third option which didn't bother me so much to do on my old, high mileage vehicle...

https://blazerforum.com/forum/article-submissions-discussions-47/how-clearance-flywheel-removal-95-4wd-39921/

Old 01-28-2010, 09:22 PM
KM346 will become famous soon enough

when i pulled my engine i removed the top three bolts with a boxed end wrench, then removed the motor mounts and that gave me more then enough room to get the bolts on the side of the bellhousing. the biggest b*tch is trying to get the engine itself to seperate from the bellhousing...

Last edited by KM346; 01-28-2010 at 09:25 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:20 PM
Starting Member
LowLife is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by KM346
when i pulled my engine i removed the top three bolts with a boxed end wrench, then removed the motor mounts and that gave me more then enough room to get the bolts on the side of the bellhousing.
I do the same thing

Old 01-31-2010, 02:13 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

yeah, i read that thread, and had some thoughts about it.

Originally Posted by KM346
when i pulled my engine i removed the top three bolts with a boxed end wrench, then removed the motor mounts and that gave me more then enough room to get the bolts on the side of the bellhousing. the biggest b*tch is trying to get the engine itself to seperate from the bellhousing...
top three bolts???

they're grouped in pairs.
and how does removing the motor mounts (which is a RPITA initself) make it any easier-or less work- compared to dropping the t-case to gain access?

i don't know, maybe it's me, but it seems like sometimes there are a few members that go beyond their means, to make it a more difficult process than necessary.

Last edited by old skool luvr; 01-31-2010 at 03:06 AM. Reason: fixed link.

Quick Reply: Engine removal 4.3L automatic 4x4