Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Engine Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 06:21 PM
Jefflego is on a distinguished road
Default Engine Replacement

I've had my blazer for about 2 years now, I did the head gasket back around the first 3 months I had it,

Currently, last month the head gasket blew out again, Its 100% fact that it's the head gasket, no doubts,

My question is, is it recommended that I just get a used engine from somewhere? Because I'll be dawned if do another head gasket just for it to blow out again in another 2 years.

SideNote: I'll never run DexCool again

Also, how long would it take to replace a blazer engine, I'm seeing labor times at10.5 but it definitely does not look like it'll even take 6hrs

Old 08-28-2017, 07:38 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Jefflego
Also, how long would it take to replace a blazer engine, I'm seeing labor times at10.5 but it definitely does not look like it'll even take 6hrs

10.5 hours??? 6 hours???

Old 08-28-2017, 11:06 AM
ChuckNTruck is on a distinguished road

How long it take will completely depend on you and possibly how many adult beverages are involved in the process.
It can be done in 6-8 hrs if you have all the parts and everything ready to go. However i would take your time and make sure everything is done correctly.
Also beware of the heater box. Its very easy to break if you snag it with an exhaust manifold. I would also recommend removing the distributor so you dont break it.

Old 08-28-2017, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by ChuckNTruck
How long it take will completely depend on you and possibly how many adult beverages are involved in the process.
It can be done in 6-8 hrs if you have all the parts and everything ready to go. However i would take your time and make sure everything is done correctly.
Also beware of the heater box. Its very easy to break if you snag it with an exhaust manifold. I would also recommend removing the distributor so you dont break it.

Good tips, I may or may not take it out myself.

Old 08-31-2017, 10:36 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

It took me about week or so to pull my engine, transfer Intake and sheet metal to the long block. Prep the long block IAW installation instructions, Install the engine, hook everything back up. The engine fired right up but shredded the belt. I did not have the power steering pulley fully seated on the pump shaft. I had no help whatsoever. I purchased a GM Good Wrench block from a local Chevrolet dealership. I have over 150.000 miles on the engine with no issues at all. (This was done during a 2 week shutdown at my work during the Christmas Holidays) I was able to turn the core back in before I had to go back to work.

Old 09-01-2017, 02:03 AM

Sweet, glad the belt was the only thing that had to be replaced...could have been worse...but it's good it worked out for you, Good Job

Old 09-01-2017, 02:12 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

To remove the engine without breaking anything in the process you may need again I would suggest three days.

This would include labeling things to be able to put all together again hassle-free.

If it is just to remove the engine and you don't care about the remainder (such as removing from a scrap vehicle) I would guess 5 - 8 hours. This would be in an equipped garage with lift and air tools.

Remove the wheels, remove fenders, remove radiator and drain all water, remove distributor, remove all lines and cables. Remove carb/TBI/TPI and throttle body. (obviously on carb and TBI the air filter element has already gone to reach the lines.

Remove all stuff in the way such as fan, radiator shroud, air filter element, oil filter element, oil lines from radiator, alternator, A/C components (have it emptied correctly and in line with your local regulations) and compressor. (I remove the radiator here in order not to damage it.)

Then start at the back of the engine removing the exhaust Y-pipe, the tranny bolts and separate the engine.

Hook the engine up, remove the engine support bolts. Should move forward now about 3 - 4 inches and lift it out.

Simple as that...

Old 09-01-2017, 08:30 PM

Wow, when you put it that way, it actually is simple.

I think I'm gonna open it up though , may not need to replace it

Old 09-02-2017, 07:18 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

Good luck.

You will be in for a good lot of work. If you can spare the time and can do it it should be worth it.
Only downside to a full analysis if it is a 4x4 you may not be able to pull the oil pan without lifting the engine a couple inches and disconnecting it from the transmission, depending on the place. As you are that far then you can also just pull it completely.

Never tried to pull it with all the accessories attached but it could work. Just remove distributor and fan - no need to break the distributor and/or the radiator.

Old 09-02-2017, 07:46 PM

Well mine is a RWD...kinda wish it was 4x4....

Quick Reply: Engine Replacement