Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Engine surging

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 08:34 PM
95_4door is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Engine surging

The other day my truck started to surge. I thought I had it narrowed down to the egr gasket, because whenever i sprayed carb cleaner on it, the engine bogged down. Well, i changed that, and the plenum gasket at the same time and it was fine for a while, but now it is back.
It sounds like a small block with an agressive cam in it. It has a very lopey idle. I mean it sounds great from the back of the truck, but it is running like a**. I don't know what it could be. I'm not throwing any check engine lights, but I am going to try and read it at work tomorow anyway.
If anybody has any ideas I would really like to hear them.
Thanks, Bill

Old 12-10-2007, 07:31 PM
Default RE: Engine surging

Well, it is still doing it. It has gotten worse now. It will actually die at a stop sign if I sit there for long. I checked the fuel pressure - I turned the key to run and it read 65psi. I could watch the guage drop slowly, before long, it was at 30 psi. So I took the upper intake off, and took the return line off the injector. I turned the ignition to run again and the fuel gushed out the return line and then it stopped (which is normal), then continued to drip. Since it continued to drip, that is where the fuel pressure loss is coming from. I thought for sure that was the problem, so I put a new FPR on it. I checked the fuel pressure again, 64psi, and it stayed for a while. I put the top of the motor back together and fired it up.. It Ran The Same As It Was Before. I sprayed a bit of ether in the intake when it was running and it didn't make a bit of difference, that makes me believe that it isn't even fuel related.
To make a long story short, I thought it might be the IAC valve, so Ireplaced it. That didn't help at all, either. My check engine light isn't on, but I'm gonna read it tomorrow anyway. I will post the results.

Old 12-10-2007, 08:25 PM
Beginning Member
riverjamie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Bill, your problem sounds almost like mine. I haven't checked the Fuel Pressure yet. Take a look at my post from a few days back under "spark plugs fouling". I don't know if your engine is doing the same thing. Mine ran great after I installed all the parts but then within 500 miles started acting up again.

I know that my catalitic converter rattles so now I wondering if it might be blocking the exhaust? Well good luck with your problem.

river jamie

Old 12-11-2007, 06:03 PM

If you can hear your convertor rattling, then generally it is bad.
As for mine, the convertor seems to be fine. It's not glowing or nothing, there is plenty of exhaust gasses coming out the tailpipe.
I will be putting a new tps on it tomorrow, as well as reading the codes (didn't have time today). The more I think about it and read about it, I think I might need to buy an EGR valve. The only good thing is that since I work at a parts store, if it doesn't fix my problem, I can always take it back.

Old 12-13-2007, 04:32 PM

I figured out what my problem was. I had a chunk of carbon stuck in the EGR valve that was keeping it open.
I really do apprecieate everybodys input. I thoroughly searched through the forums and after reading for days, I finally got it fixed. This time, I put a gasket on it that has a screen in it so that no more chunks of carbon get into it.

Again - I really do appreciate all the help that I've gotten on this.

Old 12-13-2007, 09:15 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Very glad that you got it fixed!! And thank you for following up.

I am sorry that I did not see this sooner as the stalling in gear while stopped is a quick tell-tale to a stuck EGR valve.

Again, glad you got it all fixed up!