Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Engine tick when in idle?

Old 06-25-2008, 10:01 PM
Beginning Member
762mm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Engine tick when in idle?

Hello all,

Just joined the site, as we've recently purchased a 2001 Jimmy SLT 4x4 with a 4.3L and approx. 65 000 miles on it. I've recently put new Champion Iridium plugs init (cause they were relatively cheap/on saleat a local parts store) and a new cap & rotor (Niehoff brand) along with some other tune ups such as filters and synthetic oils and a few weeks later I can hear a ticking sound coming from what seems like the back end of the engine. I put the stethoscope on the driver-side exhaust manifold to listen; Through thestetho it sort of ressembles like someone's hitting a piece of metal witha sledge-hammer (like a horse shoe maker working overtime, lol). The hits sort of happen once every second or so and they're continuous. I do not believe the sound was present before, but maybe I just didn't notice it...?

Any ideas on how to fix this (preferably for cheap)? Remove the cover and tighten the valves bolts maybe? Put diffrent oil, non-synthetic? Oil additive? Change the spark plugs for the original AC Delco Platinums (already bought them, but didn't put them in yet)? The sound is really annoyingme, because itcan be heard from the inside with the windows down (when idling) or when standing next to the truck, evenwith the hood closed.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Also, I don'tthink if it's related, but I also seem to have a sort of a rattle in the dash at times. It almost feels like some sort of an electric motor buzzing and vibrating, even with the climate controls in the off position...It may be resonating off the forewall or something, I guess.I've owned a 99 Ford Explorer for quite a few years (I'm a member of the Explorer board too) andfixed several things on it, so I'm not a total newbie to "weird truck issues". Thanks...

Old 06-26-2008, 01:19 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: Engine tick when in idle?

For the ticking in the engine....perhaps an engine oil flush and change. I'd just put regular oil in, at least until you're sure the ticking is cured. The rocker nuts are torqued and should not be loose, but it's not a big job to remove the covers to check the torque.

For the buzzing in the dash, check that your accellerator and cruise cables are not resting on the PCV hose.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:58 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks for the reply, Chevy Lover. So you don't think it might be the plugs, huh... I bought new AC Delcos to put in there for $60 CDN a week or so ago, but I'm hesitating to put them in as it probably won't fix the noise. With my luck, it's probably something completely diffrent... I will check for the cruise and accelerator cables as you suggested, at least maybe it will solve one of the issues.

Also, just on a side note, I have a very small oil drip that seems to come off the oil drain plug. I thought it was the plug itself at first, so I bought an extra gasket for it at a parts store. Installed it, tightened it real good and it still drips (a few drops of oil present on the plug and on the ground after the truck is driven). I didn't remove the plastic cover under the engine to look where the leak is coming from yet, but is there any common placed to look for? It's a small & slow drip and seems to come in effect after driving/warming up the engine.

The truck has relatively low mileage, so quite honestly I'm pretty disappointedwith all the issues already at hand. My Explorer handled better so far (no leaks or strange noises), and it has more mileage than that - I was toying with the idea of getting another Ford, but decided to give GM a shot instead. I just hopemy Jimmy's noise/oil drip issues aren'tsomething ridiculouslytime consumingthat would require the removal of the engine/trans...

Old 06-26-2008, 05:24 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

As for the oil leak, since you have a 4x4you might want tolook at the oil lines that run from the filter adapter (located directly above the drain plug) to the remote oil filter and see if there is any oil showing on them. What weight oil are you running in the engine? Since you live in Canada 5W30 is a safe year-round choice, but in the summer 10W30 would work just as well and might eliminate the engine tick. I would not have put the stethoscope on the exhaust manifold because you're going to primarily be hearing the detonation in the cylinders. Try putting it on the valve covers or the back of the block itself (if that's where the sound seems to be coming from). I once had a leak from a manifold bolt on another truck and could feel the slight air impulse when I held my hand near the bolt head.

Old 06-26-2008, 06:27 PM
Beginning Member

Cool, I will try doing that to fix the leak, thanks for the reply. I was reading something about remote oil filters on these trucks, but I'm not quite sure of what it is yet, where it isor whetherit can be changed (no such thing on my 4x4 Ford, lol).

Currently I'm running 10W30 Mobil 1 Synthetic oil in the engine, so it's not the weight of the oil that's the problem... maybe cause it's synthetic? That would be VERY strange, but I guess all possibilities are somewhat probable. I was kind of aiming towards the spark plugs being incompatible with thisengine (Champion iridium plugs vs. 4.3L Vortec) as I've read in the Haynes manual that wrong plugs may cause engine noise when going uphill or something like that (even though it doesn't really describe my problem).

Kind of off topic: Is it just me or are the aluminum threads in these trucks made out of a play-doh alloy? I've so far had problems with the bolt-hole threads in various places on the truck (spark plugs, transmission pan bolts, cap & rotor bolts, etc..)... the threads seem to get deformed after you remove certain bolts and thennone of the originalbolts want to go back in... some of them have been a real PITA, such as one of the trans pan bolts that's barely in there right now after a filter/gasket change.. I was trying to get that sucker back in there any which way, and it would stop half way through as if there was no more thread left(the pan isn't leaking, so it doesn't really matter - but still, wtf?). I've never seen this before, especially cause Inever even put a lot of torque on my bolts when I work on any vehicle (don't want to break anything or strip the thread).

I know I ask many questions, but this is my first GM truck.. and I'm still in the experimenting phases with it, lol

Old 06-26-2008, 10:33 PM
portcqb is an unknown quantity at this point

Didnt know they swapped to aluminum threads for the spark plugs in 01, 97s have iron or at least they seem like iron. I dont think the mobil one would cause the issues there is a chance it is the spark plugs these engines are picky. The Iridium tip plugs might cause detonation think thats what you refered to in the manual.

Old 06-26-2008, 10:52 PM
Beginning Member

Yeah... maybe that's what it is. I really want it to be a quick fix, I'm not in the mood for taking the engine apart yet... I think I'll put the AC Delcos in there next week, the guy at a parts store said that's what's supposed to be in the Jimmy as OEM. I'm already willing to bet that it won't do crap to solve the issue (probably, with my luck), but I'll put these suckers in anyway. I just wish I had kept my old plugs, I could just put them back in and see if it still "ticks".

Honsetly though, none of you guys ever experienced it? I used to drive a 2000 Blazer at work a couple of years ago (work truck, not mine) and it seemed to make the same noise at some point if I recall correctly.. I didn't pay much attention to it as it wasn't even mine, but it seemed to drive fine aside from the ticking sound. Basically, when you're standing on the driver's side of the parked & running truck with the hood closed (or open), the engine seems to be making a "toc, toc, toc.." sound continuously and it seems to be coming from the front fender - about one every second when RPMs are at about 500-600 (definately not a bearing or anything like that, it's more like a knocking sound).

It's freakin annoying, makes it sound like some sort of a farm tractor or something, lol... I have to get that fixed, unless of course it's supposed to be making that sound? I'm not too familiar with the particularities of the OHV in these yet... I have the 210hp SOHC engine in myExplorer (which is the Mustang V6) and it's quiet as hell compared to this one...

Well, I guess I just like quiet idling engines,,, as usually it's a sign of their good health, hahaha

Cheers.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:10 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you have iridium plugs, they should perform just like the double platinum provided they are the same heat range plug. If they were a direct replacement, then they would be the appropriate heat range. I don't necessarily like Champion plugs anymore, but this shouldn't cause an idle tic, especially one that is so out of time with the engine RPMs.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:16 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Also double-check the plug wire connections at the plugs and at the distributor. It's not normal for this engine to make that kind of noise, but then again, you just might have one that is exhibiting the "GM piston slap" noise. There are plenty of webpages with info on this sound.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:18 PM
Beginning Member
Default Fixed !

Hey there guys! Thanks for all the replies and sorry for not giving a 411 regarding this issue sooner, but I've had so many things to worry about lately that there was no time for the Jimmy and it's abnormal behavior syndrome... y'all know how life is... priorities first.

Anywho, I just replaced the plugs with AC Delco Platinums (the stuff that's supposed to be in there as stock) and changed the wires too... what a f*(@*#g pain in the *** it is to get the damn wires off those plastic clips! I just cut through most of them with a pair of cutters, then annihilated whatever was left with a screwdriver, lol (and the thousand fresh cuts on my hands prove it!)... the one behind the brake booster was a real doozie to do, since you can't see it or evenget to it with 2 hands- I hope whoever came up with that idea was fired by GM using a big steel toe boot up their ***, hopefully with a rusted nail at the tip of it! Seriously though, wtf? Is there no BETTERsolution to hold a wire to the engine block? [:@](another point for myExplorer vs the Jimmy, lol! Ford makes the wire holders in a way that a chimp could work with them, much like anything else in the truck - to me, simple is sometimes genius).

As I was changing the plugs though, I noticed that the middle plug on the driver's sidegot loose - so much so that I could turnthe socket that I put on itby hand! (this plug being the second doozie, as it's just behind the steering shaft that allows like 1/2 inch of clearence). Long story short, I replaced all six Champions with Delcos, put new wires on that sucker , started it up and... gone! No more ticking and no more bs sounds coming from the engine and, thank God, no 'GM piston slap', lol. Phew!

Now, when I have time, I'll still have to figure out that small oil leak I get accumulating on the oil plug (a few drops after driving the truck in/around the drain plug). Then, perhaps I'll try to locate that dashboard rattle that ocasionnally drives everyone nuts whenever it's there. Thanks everyone for your suggestions, they were all very helpful... you're all great people!

P.S. Is there a way to remove the steering shaft to get to the middle driver-side plugto give it a good tight shot with the ratchet? I had to use a small wrench on the socket (like I did last time), but I'm not sure whether the plug will not get loose again... or is there another way perhaps (keeping in mind the amount of space in there)?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine tick when in idle?