Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Engine and transmission about an inch apart

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 07:11 PM
PseudoKirby is on a distinguished road

I just put the new engine in and bolted the mounts in, and I cant bolt the engine to the transmission, the transmission seems to be about an inch or a half inch from the engine, with the mounts on.... how can I get them to meet?

I had to drop the transmission crossmember to get to some of the bellhousing bolts, when I tried to put the crossmember back up it wasnt lined up too well, I used a chain and pulled the crossmember forward to bolt it back in with the new engine, does that have anything to do with it?

the engine is firmly in there with the mounts, how can I move the transmission to meet the engine? it seems its also a bit misaligned on the other side

Last edited by rriddle3; 06-09-2011 at 06:34 AM. Reason: COMBINING CONSECUTIVE POSTS
Old 06-09-2011, 11:41 AM
drew_fur is on a distinguished road

I had this happen twice on 1990 S10 Blazer with the 4.3. The first time I had to pull the engine back out and change the pilot bearing. If it's a manual, you should consider changing the pilot bearing while you've got the tranny out. The flywheel may need to be turned a little also - you can get a pilot bearing alignment tool to help ensure this isn't an issue (they're cheap). The second time it just took a heck of a lot of wiggling and working the engine to get it to line up correctly. The 4.3's have little dowels on the engine that need to be lined up with bellhousing properly. Just take it slow and don't wiggle too far up/down or side/side so you don't damage the transmission.

Old 06-09-2011, 02:53 PM

its a 95 4.3 4x4 4 door auto, and it seems like the motor doesn't want to move very much, I have it on the mounts, it seems like the transmission needs moving, how can I move the transmission easily?

Old 06-09-2011, 03:37 PM
Starting Member
01BlackBeauty is on a distinguished road

Is the torque converter seated onto the input shaft all the way? If not - and it's up against the flexplate - it could be preventing the tranny from moving any further forward. If you're within an inch you should be able to start a bolt on each side then alternate side to side tightnening them to pull the tranny into place. If the bolts won't reach a couple pieces of threaded rod with nuts on them will also work. If you already put them in, take the tranny mount to tranny bolts out first so it will slide forward as you tighten the bolts/nuts. Make sure the holes in the bellhousing align with the dowels in the back of the engine block as you tighten it up.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:17 PM

yea the torque converter is all the way in, the thing is the transmission doesnt seem to line up with it side to side either....

but the engine is securely in place with the mounts.... the only thing is I bought a new engine mount for the drivers side because it had split in two..

Old 06-10-2011, 04:38 PM

this is extremely frustrating!!

Old 06-11-2011, 11:31 PM
Beginning Member
skyzmine is on a distinguished road

the engine you put in, what did it come out of or what motor dit you buy?
2x4 -4x4
if it was a 2x4 i hope you swaped the oil pans and oil pickup.
the pan on the 2x4 will hit the front axle and keep the back of the motor
up and you will not be able to line uo the tranny.

and if it is the correct motor and you cant figure it out,
everytime i need to drop the tranny to pull a motor i will bolt them up before i put it back in

hope this helps

Old 06-12-2011, 10:56 AM

yea I made sure to get the exact motor,
but what do you mean bolt them together before putting the engine back in? do you pull the transmission with the engine when you pull it?

and I was able to get two bolts in, ONLY on the passenger side, I can NOT reach the drivers side ones, cause I am afraid of lowering the transmission in this state to reach any of them, and the fuel lines are in the way for the top drivers side bolt in its raised up state.