Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Engine trouble, should I get it rebuilt?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 09:05 PM
tskoffina is on a distinguished road
Default Engine trouble, should I get it rebuilt?

Ok, first I really know nothing about cars, so I'm not sure on any of this. I took my Blazer, 2 wheel drive, manual, 2001 with 76,000 miles, to get an oil change and they said they found metal shavings in the oil plug. They showed it to me and they were really tiny, like grains of salt. They suggested I sell it and get a new car. I'm particularly attached to my Blazer, so I don't want to do this. I'm not really sure what my options are, but I thought they tended to last longer than this, but I bought it used 1.5 years ago with 65,000 miles and I don't know how it was cared for before I got it. I'm not sure what my options are. I know I can buy a new or used engine and replace it, but I'm not sure. Is it really something so catastrophic? I was wondering though if it would be possible to find someone who would rebuild the engine and give a warranty, or is the warranty an impossibility? I have a hard time paying that kind of money with no guarantee of any kind.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:20 PM
01vortec is an unknown quantity at this point

I say you drive it for a couple miles, pull the plug and inspect it yourself. I'm not saying they're wrong but I've seen some shops take people for rides before.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:25 PM

I'm not even sure how I would do that. Was thinking of taking it to another place next week and saying nothing and having another oil change done, and see if they say anything. I was told to put Lucas's something or other in, so I could have that done, too.

Old 09-25-2010, 11:08 PM
07nhbpsi is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by tskoffina
I'm not even sure how I would do that. Was thinking of taking it to another place next week and saying nothing and having another oil change done, and see if they say anything. I was told to put Lucas's something or other in, so I could have that done, too.
I really wouldn't worry to much about it.......if u want pull the distributor out and check the gear on it I pulled mine and found it was worn, that would definitely cause some metal particles to find their way to the drain plug.....or like the other guy mentioned about the shop just trying to stick it to ya!!!!! another idea here would to get an oil analysis that'll give u some insite

Old 09-26-2010, 12:22 AM
matt92 is on a distinguished road

4.3 engines are everywhere. If it comes down to it, buy a new one off craigslist for a couple hundred bucks. I love my blazer too, and i'd swap an engine before i sell it for something else.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:41 AM
Outsydr is an unknown quantity at this point

google for it IF it comes down to it you can get a 4.3 specific to your year and vin code for $1500-$2000 with a 7 year/70,000mile warranty, but I agree with the others your best bet would be an oil analysis that will take the guess work out of the entire situation.

Old 09-26-2010, 11:18 AM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road

Agreed, have an oil analysis done then go from there.

Old 09-26-2010, 04:19 PM
Thor_449 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well that lucas stuff isn't expensive, but it isn't exactely cheap....I think the shop was just trying to milk a couple of bucks out of you and scare you into always coming back to them to give you more lucas oil. Also engines don't just die at that amount of mileage for no reason except for *cough* mopar engines *cough* ehh anyways I wouldn't worry too much, checking the distributor gear would be the best bet though.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:59 PM

The shop didn't suggest any work on my car or the Lucas's stuff. The shop said get a new car (no they don't see cars). My sister said the Lucas's would slow down what ever's wrong. She's the only person I know personally who knows car's, but she's 600 miles away. How do I get the distributor gear checked or an oil analysis done? Is this something I just ask at a shop? Or is it something I could do myself, considering I don't know anything at all?

Old 09-27-2010, 11:58 AM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

I would change the oil again and have a good look for filings. If you google Oil Testing you should come up with companies that will send you the kit and you mail in the sample and then they send you a report. Pulling the distributer is a matter of removing the hold down bolt and pulling the dist. out. You want to remove the cap first and mark which way the rotor is pointing becuase you have to put the dist. back in so the rotor is pointing in exactly the same position. If you do not get it right you will have to go through the process of setting the number 1 piston at Top Dead Center. If you are not comfortable with this take it to a shop to find out how much they would charger to remove and inspect the dist. gear. I would expect 1 to 1.5 hours of labor.

Quick Reply: Engine trouble, should I get it rebuilt?