Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Engine upgrade!

Old 02-04-2008, 12:21 AM
christianadler is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Engine upgrade!

Hello, I come from Germany. I own a S10 1985 2.8ltr V6. Can one also grow a bigger engine to this gear? With us there are many Pontiac TransSport 3.8ltr this engine fits? thank you beforehand!

Old 02-04-2008, 05:42 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Engine upgrade!

The most popular swap (and pretty much the only upgrade) is to a 3.4L v6

Old 02-10-2008, 06:57 PM
kpro89 is an unknown quantity at this point

i would go for a 4.3

Old 02-10-2008, 09:21 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Well shoot..if we're gunna post entirely irrevlevant information, I would go with a 454!

Old 02-11-2008, 07:32 PM

how is that irrelavant, i simply stated what i thought a good practical swap would be?

by the way good spelling, irrevlevant?

Old 02-11-2008, 07:38 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

Fight nice guys! Changing from a 2.8 to a 3.4 is a lot less involved than from a 2.8 to a 4.3, hence the reason why it's the most popular. The logic behind that is if you're going to go through the extra effort of putting a 4.3 in, why not go all the way and stuff something bigger in?

...and it's i-r-r-e-l-e-v-a-n-t. The more you know...

Old 02-11-2008, 07:39 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Haha you spelled it wrong as well..mine was just typing too fast..whoops..(IRRELEVANT)

And the 4.3 was not a good thing to recommend because upgrading to a 4.3 for his blazer would require so many other swaps/upgrades. It would not be a simple drop in swap like the 4.3 to a 350 in the 1/2nd gens.

dangggg.....TripleBlack beat me to it

Old 02-11-2008, 08:34 PM

i bolive it can be spelled with an a also but is just less common. if its an 85 you could go with a carbed 4.3 which would involve alot less wiring right? 3.4s are all fi and you would have to buy and install a new wiring harness right? i just think if you get the parts from the right place it would be cheaper to go with a 4.3than 3.4.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:54 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The 3.4 is a direct replacement. Meaning that the long block can be swapped in with NO modifications. Simply bolt up the original exhaust manifolds and intake manifold with the current induction setup.

To go to a 4.3L, you might as well just go straight to a 350 as you would already have to redo the motor mounts, replace the transmission, etc. The bell housing bolt pattern is entirely different from the 2.8L/3.4L (60* V6) to the 4.3L and the v8s (90* v6) which is why the transmission must be changed. With that in mind, no it would not be cheaper. That is what Wolfpack was saying as far as that goes.

And it is irrelevant... No other "uncommon" spelling...

Old 02-13-2008, 09:14 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

[sm=admin.gif]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine upgrade!