Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Extremely hard to put into park

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 09:11 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about
Default Extremely hard to put into park

So over the winter, Noticed that it was getting harder and harder to put the Jimmy into park, Shifting into every other year is like butter, but going into park, you better double check it, or it could go into reverse on its own (actually happened tonight when i was in the passenger seat and Chelsea was in the store, had to quick put my foot over and hit the brake) when that happened, I put it into park pretty hard, and it stayed. I know this is not a serious problem (with the tranny) Just trying to figure out how to fix it.
Should I soak the shift linkage at the tranny with pb blaster, try to free some things up. I know there is a bushing down there that when it goes bad it can be hard to shift into some gears.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the rough

Check the linkage I know on the second gens they are adjustable and can have this same problem. That's the exact same thing that happened to mine it would say it was in park on the dash and I could turn the truck off and pull the key but it would actually be sitting between P and R! I used the parking brake everywhere i went lol. I replaced the cable and no more issues since. That'a the only real experience I have with it hope it helps!

Old 04-26-2013, 09:41 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Thanks! I am going to see what is under there tomorrow, load it down with pb blaster to see if its something binding, then I will try the bushing since it is only 2 bucks. has to be one of those 2 things, simple. It goes into every other gear perfectly like butta! LOL

Old 04-26-2013, 11:06 PM
Twip will become famous soon enough

yeah i would agree with Rex...probably needs adjustment.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:07 PM
BF Veteran

so if they are adjustable, do I adjust them like i would lets say a bike brake cable. loosen the bolt, then pull the cable tight then, tighten the bolt again?

Old 04-26-2013, 11:13 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the rough

Check out the instal thread I made it has pics of the adjuster. Yours may be different bit it may give you an idea.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:25 AM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

yours is still oldschool linkage. no adjustment. they didnt start that till i think 95 or so. my 94 sonoma doesnt have it either. Could be the steering column its self.

Old 04-27-2013, 10:04 AM
BF Veteran

well, I will find out today LOL, will let yall know.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:34 PM
Starting Member
ol' grouch is on a distinguished road

How old are the engine and transmission mounts? A sagging mount will cause binding. A busted left side mount will actually let the engine bang into the bottom of the hood.

Old 04-27-2013, 10:51 PM
BF Veteran

The mounts are in great shape, I would have to look through the receipts from the previous owner, but I believe they were replaced in the last 5 years.

I did not look at anything today in that nature, just fixed some rust, and then drove it around disturbing peace with the sound system. Going to pull a couple things apart tomorrow and check some things, and spray some lubricating oil on the linkage spring tomorrow. I have read that it can get corroded and cause problems.

Quick Reply: Extremely hard to put into park