Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

A few 93 Blazer Issues...

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 09:46 AM
Beavisboots is on a distinguished road
Default A few 93 Blazer Issues...

Hello all. New here and new to chevy's as well. Did a search before joining and couldn't find any info that seemed to pertain to my exact problems. A little abou the truck, its a 93 Blazer Sport with a 350 4x4 and auto trans. Roughly 161k on the clock.

First problem, it doesn't like to crank sometimes. I can come out in the morning and I'd say I have a 50/50 shot at getting it to crank over. when it does crank however, it fires right up with no hesitation. At first it seemed to do it only when it was warm. Now it could do it after just sitting overnight. there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.

Second problem is with the transmission. When it does start....the trans will shift perfectly, I mean perfectly too. Feels very good. After a few miles of driving, it doesn't go down into first gear at a complete stop. Like if I stop at a red light. When I go move from a complete stop, the trans feels like it is starting in second gear, and then it abruptly shifts down into first and will shift fine untill I come to a complete stop again, repeating the same process.

I've been told the trans problem could be the valve body on the trans???? Don't know much about auto's always been manual trans guy myself. Any and all help is greatly appriciated. Thanks in advance and sorry for the long first post!

Joe

Old 10-10-2009, 10:50 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

First problem sounds like it might be an ignition switch problem. I cannot remember if they kept the adjustable ignition switch that was used in the 91 & older trucks... If it is up in the column near the ignition lock cylinder then it is not adjustable.

Old 10-10-2009, 12:04 PM
reelbroke2 is on a distinguished road

not sure what trans you have but if it has a vacuum modualator on it pull the vacuum line off of it and if you see trans fluid comming out its bad, the vac. mod. controls shift points..can also be affected if your driving in higher elevations than whats its normally used to...Just a thought.

Old 10-10-2009, 03:28 PM
Beavisboots is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
First problem sounds like it might be an ignition switch problem. I cannot remember if they kept the adjustable ignition switch that was used in the 91 & older trucks... If it is up in the column near the ignition lock cylinder then it is not adjustable.

If the switch turns out to be the culprit and its the adjustable one, I can adjust it somehow I assume? If not and its a newer style I would need a new switch? Thanks for your response.

Old 10-10-2009, 04:12 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I just looked up the part on RockAuto.com and it would appear that you have the older style that is bolted to the steering column up under the dash. You adjust the switch by loosening the bolts (screws) that hold it to the column and sliding it closer to the steering wheel. It may take a few attempts to get it just right. Move it too far and you may end up in the run position with the key off. You have to double check the adjustment afterwords.

Attached is a picture.

Attached Thumbnails A few 93 Blazer Issues...-93_ign_starter_switch.jpg