Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

first post-broken safari with 4.3. stuck at wot

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 04:17 PM
Starting Member
brokensafari is on a distinguished road
Default first post-broken safari with 4.3. stuck at wot

Hello all I found the site when looking for solutions to a WOT problem. I went over to a buddies house to help him with his girlfriends 89 gmc safari. The truck ran fine last time she drove it a few days ago. She went to drive it today and got a few blocks away from the house, before she realized it was having trouble slowing down. She had it towed back the house. When the tow truck driver popped the hood he found the air cleaner and other bits removed. Laying on top of the motor.

When I got over there and started it, it went right to wide open throttle. I checked the linkage and it is no set to open. I also found the air filter screw shoved part way down the intake. Removing it did not decrease the revving. I looked around for disconnected lines or plugs but did not see any.

From what we can figure, recently she was getting harassed by her ex. He also knew the van doors did not lock on the back. When checking I noticed fresh wrench marks on the distributor bolt, it was also loose enough to turn if you used both hands. I played with the distributor get the rpms down a little bit, but there is no tach. I was also hoping maybe this was like dodges system that the distributor didnt control engine timing but injector timing. I do not think this was the case.

Where should i look next?

Old 06-02-2011, 08:09 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

So the linkage is connected and what position is the throttle butterfly at? I think everything is controlled by the TPS readins given to the ECM. If he has jammed the throttle butterfly open, or bent something to stay open, you can tell by looking into the throttle. The TPS gets its reading from the position of the throttle butterfly. If its stick on WOT, you can look right past the butterfly into the intake. If they are closed, I have no idea how it can go to WOT when the airflow cant get into the engine. The TPS on that engine is looks like the letter "P" - its black - its about 1.5inch tall and 1inch wide and is mounted on the other end of the throttle plate as the throttle cable. He could have removed it, and glued or jammed it into WOT position, then put it back on.

BTW, that is the kind of thing the guy can go to jail for - He could kill her, and possibly other people on the road by messing with a car like that. If she was to get into an accident where I live, that is attempted murder... Might want to check the brake lines too, and then go hang a supreme licking on the guy... Its what I would do - Im not a nice guy though. I dont take kindly to that kind of thing and the guy would be in intensive care for a while and eating blended mush food. I have no idea how someone can get that kind of hate in them to try and kill someone like that. The relationship is over, let it be and go find someone else...

Last edited by ohsofly; 06-02-2011 at 08:12 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:34 PM
Starting Member
brokensafari is on a distinguished road

thanks, i looked at the throttle best i could but the way this motor is jammed in there is a nightmare. I should have taken a pic. The intake is about 10 inches deep from either side, directly under the dashboard. With about 6 inches above the intake. So hard to get a clear look at anything.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:41 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by ohsofly
So the linkage is connected and what position is the throttle butterfly at? I think everything is controlled by the TPS readins given to the ECM. If he has jammed the throttle butterfly open, or bent something to stay open, you can tell by looking into the throttle. The TPS gets its reading from the position of the throttle butterfly. If its stick on WOT, you can look right past the butterfly into the intake. If they are closed, I have no idea how it can go to WOT when the airflow cant get into the engine. The TPS on that engine is looks like the letter "P" - its black - its about 1.5inch tall and 1inch wide and is mounted on the other end of the throttle plate as the throttle cable. He could have removed it, and glued or jammed it into WOT position, then put it back on.
vacuum leak could cause it?
buy a small mirror like girls use to fix they're hair. use it to see. if the butterflys are closed,maybe the iac is stuck open. or the thing has a horrible vacuum leak.