Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

"That is the first time I have ever heard of that."

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 12:57 PM
whiz1965 is on a distinguished road
Angry "That is the first time I have ever heard of that."

That is what everyone has told me regarding my latest quandary.

Situation:
Driven my Blazer all day pulling a small 5X8 rental trailer to haul some furniture. It was running as good as normal for this Blazer...(some vibrations with the exhaust or drive-shaft or something that is normal for me.) I started and shut off the Blazer all day with no problems with the trailer hooked up (lights and all) and then I took the rental trailer back, dropped and unhooked, went to the gas station to get a soda, and turned the key to the off position. I got out and thought I heard something abnormal...low and behold, the engine was still running, the headlights were still on. I got back in the Blazer and no internal electronics were on, I turned the key to the run position and all of the gauges came back up to normal, radio came on...all back to normal...

I noticed when I got out the first time that the radio shut off as soon as the key was turned to the off position (usually stays on until the door opens) and both sides of my turn signals were blinking on the inside as if I had burnt a bulb (quick).

No worries, I did get my soda, jumped in my still running Blazer, cussed, drove it home, left it running to see what I could find online, found nothing, drank some soda, cussed some more, talked to neighbor, shut off the key, pulled the fuel pump relay, disconnected the neg bat cable, drank more soda, cussed some more, yelled at wife for asking me what was wrong and how I was going to fix it, called my dad, he said never head of that, called my uncle, he said he had never heard of that, went to Advance Auto, they said they had never heard of that, suggested an 80.00+ ICU, cussed some more, held off on the part until I get some more solid ideas, saw a cool 1960 Volvo, drove home, continued to fight with wife, finished soda, ate dinner, gave up all hope on the Blazer, plotted to take over the world, shut the hood on the Blazer about 10:00 pm.

I woke up this morning, thought that the trailer may have caused said issue, got revamped on my determination to fix this Blazer, wrote this post, going to get a soda while other people who are smarter than me take a crack at something that has me baffled.

Hope someone can help. If not, there is always a sledge hammer and torch which fixes 90% of all problems associated with my vehicles.

Thanks for any help.

Adam
whiz1965

Old 09-05-2010, 01:31 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like something in the ignition switch isn't shutting things down properly... What are you driving?

Old 09-05-2010, 01:36 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

I'd take a look at a failed ingnition switch. How they fail is beyond me as they are a very simple design but what you described sure sounds like the ignition switch.

EDIT: Dang! Kyle beat me to it.

Old 09-05-2010, 01:38 PM
whiz1965 is on a distinguished road

Sorry, I had my specs in my first post. My bad. 99 Blazer 4x4 LS 4.3 Auto.

Old 09-05-2010, 01:54 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I created a pretty detailed post on the ignition switch. The link to it is in my signature below. It sounds like either the IGN1 or IGN3 contacts are fused together inside the switch, keeping contact even after you turn the key to the OFF position. You can test this with a multimeter at the large connector under the steering column. If, with the key off and the battery connected, you still have power on the pink and/or orange wires, the ignition switch is faulty and needs to be replaced.

Originally Posted by AJBert
EDIT: Dang! Kyle beat me to it.