Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Fog lamp wiring harness

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 08:34 PM
cain_45 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Fog lamp wiring harness

The switch inside the cab is already installed. I'm only concerned with the harness for the fog lights themselves on the outside of the vehicle.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:56 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

So what you are looking for is some aux harness that would have the fog wiring in it... The fog wiring is part of the main engine harness, you either have the plugs, or you don't. If you don't, your options are to wire it all up yourself or get the appropriate harness, either by purchasing a new one or getting one from a salvage yard. The harness in question will run from the headlighths to the underhood fuse box, but there may also be differences in the harness from the fuse box to the bulkhead, but I doubt it. Do you see terminals in the locations for the fog relay and fuse?

Here is the wiring schematic for the fogs. Looks like connectors C1 & C4 have wiring in them for the fogs so these harnesses would be affected.

Old 09-26-2007, 09:46 AM

Exactly!! This is the harness I'm speaking about. The part # for the harness I need is 12159160 and it lists for $592 from GM.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:11 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

So what exactly are you asking?

What has been suggested is you either run the wires yourself or get the appropriate harness... If these do not work for you, what is the solution you are looking for?

Old 09-26-2007, 11:01 AM

I'm asking whether this is true or not? See first post above. I'm checking to see if anyone else has ever attempted this or not. I don't want to run wires myself, I want it to be and look factory. I just can't believe that no one has ever done this or attempted this before.

Old 09-26-2007, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Many, many people have added auxilliary fog lights. I don't know of anyone here that has attempted what you are trying simply because the stock fog lights in the headlamp housing are poor at best. That is why so many decide to put on aftermarket fogs.

If you do not have the wiring up at the headlights, then your choices are as I have already stated. It is possible that GM did away with the extra, unused wiring as a cost cutting effort and that earlier years have it, but yours doesn't. If that is the case, then the MUCH more cost effective route would be to run your own wires, but since you'd rather mess with the harness, the junkyard is the only other place if you do not want to pay retail for it (GMPartsDirect.com has it for $350 or so).

Good luck with it... You could make your own wiring look like factory if you take your time, but what do I know...

Old 09-26-2007, 01:49 PM

Yea I don't mind the wiring at the lamps being done aftermarket as I don't know how to wire. The dash control is there and plugged in already so it's no problem. GMpartsdirect has the harness yes for $350 but charges an additional 75 to ship.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:19 AM

Just an FYI to everyone that I found the OEM GM harness for sale on Ebay today for $50 bucks! I pounced and in a few days will have that factory OEM foglamps installed on my Blazer....nicknamed "Blazey". LOL

I want to thank everyone who offered advice to me. It's very much appreciated.

Old 10-11-2007, 06:38 PM

Ok new problem....got the harness installed but the fogs do not work. All other lamps, I.E. headlamps, turnlamps, sidemarkers etc., work as intended but no fogs. Now I was reading my manual and it states the switch inside the cabin should illuminate when the fogs are turned on. Mine doesn't do this so I'm wondering if the switch is bad? Does anyone who has factory installed fog lamps know if the switch has an indicator that illuminates once the fogs are turned on?

Old 10-11-2007, 07:04 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

when you press the button for the fogs to come on, the little white circle on the switch will light up orange.

Quick Reply: Fog lamp wiring harness