Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Front Passenger's Side Ticking Noise.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 05:18 AM
Starting Member
S10Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Front Passenger's Side Ticking Noise.

Hello, everyone. I recently noticed that my truck is making a ticking noise on the front passenger's side. It does not tick loud when you first start it up, even on cold days. At idle, you can't even tell that it's there unless you go outside and put your ear under the passenger's side wheel opening. When I get on the highway, I can really notice it. It always sounds while your giving it gas on the highway. Even at around 50 mph, if you let off the gas and just coast, you can still hear it. I have no idea what it could be. I would appreciate any suggestions.

I also forgot to mention, that my oil is just a little bit over filled, and the oil that I have been using is Castrol High Mileage 10W-30. My oil cooler lines are also leaking.

Last edited by S10Blazer; 01-10-2010 at 05:22 AM.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:03 AM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

Sounds like a exhaust leak from either the manifold gasket or donut. I'd check this first.
What are you driving?
Where are your lines leaking?

Old 01-10-2010, 11:36 AM
Starting Member

Maybe you're right, cause I forgot to mention, that I also noticed on the highway that it was lacking some power. After it gets to about 50-60, my foot was down all the way and barely wanted to gain speed. I have also been having an idle problem in which sometimes the engine stays revved when stopping at a light, requiring me to step harder on the brake.And after the truck gets warm, the oil pressure drops to 40 psi at idle. I think the drop in oil pressure might be related to the leaking engine oil cooler lines. They are leaking by the oil filter where the rubber hose meets the metal.

Anyway, thanks for your suggestion. I'm definitely going to have it looked at soon.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:26 AM

What you're describing about only making 50 - 60 floored isn't an exhaust leak. You have something wrong with your engine after hearing what you have to say about the high idle and having to step on the brake harder at lights. Sounds like dangerois. You need to get that fixed. 40 psi at odle on a warmed up engine doesn't sound too bad to me. By the way, if the lines you're talking about are the ones on the forward side of the filter, those aren't too bad to replace. If they're on the back side you are in for a real treat.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:14 AM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

I have a ticking on the passenger side that is/was driving me nuts. But mine would do at idle as well as when I was driving. I finally took it to a shop that i trust and thet were able to identify that the noise was coming from the heater core. Apparently there is something loose in my core that rattles when the coolant is flowing through. Even though the core is not leaking I am going to replace it very soon. This is on a 89 Jimmy so this is not too bad of a job compared to 2nd generation Blazers. I have tried flushing out the core but I am was unable to flush whatever is making the rattling noise out. The heater core installed has a lifetime warranty from O'reilys so I am going to see if I can get them to exhange it under the warranty? It does not rattle until the engine has warmed up and the thermostat opens to allow coolant flow.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:48 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Gimpy Blazer
Sounds like a exhaust leak from either the manifold gasket or donut. I'd check this first.
What are you driving?
Where are your lines leaking?
Just got a "Service Engine Soon" light on today. The code is P0420. Hayne's manual says Catalyst system efficiency below threshold (Bank 1).

So now I really think that you're right about the exhaust leak. lol

Old 01-12-2010, 11:20 AM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

check out your cat. she may be plugged up. use search to see the various ways of checking (heat, hammer, chop, etc)

Old 01-12-2010, 12:23 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by ABN31B
check out your cat. she may be plugged up. use search to see the various ways of checking (heat, hammer, chop, etc)
I just had a brand new Magnaflow Direct Fit Catalytic converter put in a little while ago, I think back in November. I didn't have any problems up until now, but that ticking sound has been there since before the cat was installed. The reason why I replaced my stock one was because when you would bang on it with your hand, it would rattle inside, and I had also thought that the ticking sound was also the catalytic converter. Turns out that the ticking noise is still there, and it has gotten louder, and now with the SES light.

Last edited by S10Blazer; 01-12-2010 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:49 PM

I would check the muffler too for being plugged up if the cat is fairly new. Usually when the exhaust system starts to burn out a bunch of it goes. For instance I just put a Heartthrob cat-back exhaust system on mine and then found out someone had gutted the converter (after it wouldn't pass the emissions test) and on the way home from the failed test, my SES light comes on and lo and behold the O2 sensor goes bad. Fixed that and about 3 days later (after passing emissions) the final exhaust pipe gives up the ghost and has a nice hole in it. Picking it up this afternoon and installing it. What I'm trying to get through here is that you should probably give the whole exhaust system a real hard look over. Never had much luck replacing one piece. Shoulda known better.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:03 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Gimpy Blazer
I would check the muffler too for being plugged up if the cat is fairly new. Usually when the exhaust system starts to burn out a bunch of it goes. For instance I just put a Heartthrob cat-back exhaust system on mine and then found out someone had gutted the converter (after it wouldn't pass the emissions test) and on the way home from the failed test, my SES light comes on and lo and behold the O2 sensor goes bad. Fixed that and about 3 days later (after passing emissions) the final exhaust pipe gives up the ghost and has a nice hole in it. Picking it up this afternoon and installing it. What I'm trying to get through here is that you should probably give the whole exhaust system a real hard look over. Never had much luck replacing one piece. Shoulda known better.
LOL I'm sorry, but I also forgot to mention the fact that my muffler is a Magnaflow muffler that was put on i think some time in 2009. But I do get what you're saying. I'm pretty sure it is an exhaust leak somewhere, I just have to find it. I know some of the exhaust pipes are pretty rusted, but at least I know it can't be the muffler or the cat. There might be a hole somewhere like you said, and I'm pretty sure it's somewhere towards the front because of where the sound is coming from.

Quick Reply: Front Passenger's Side Ticking Noise.