Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Fuel Problems - Wont start

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 08:08 PM
AdamM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fuel Problems - Wont start

96 Blazer 4door 2WD

Okay.. my Blazer ran fine for about 3 months. It started having trouble cranking in the morning, only when it has sat overnight. It would usually stall about once, and then start up and idle to about 3 RPMs for about 3 seconds without pressing the gas. It started getting worse, it would stall about 2 times, then 3, and then it finally stopped cranking at all.

To make sure this was a fuel problem, I poured gas in the carburetor (guessing that's it, where the Vortec connects to the middle where the throttle is) and it cranked! After it ran that little bit I poured in there it ran for a little while without touching the gas. I bought some fuel system cleaner and poured it in. It was running fine. I let it sit overnight and tried to crank it this morning but it would not crank. Now when you pour gas in it, it cranks, but then stalls. It also backfired once. Filter, Pump, Hoses? Oh no!

I'm going to take it to my mechanic tomorrow, but I was wondering if by telling you all this you could possibly narrow down the problem and save me a little bit of cash.

Thanks for any help you could give me!

Old 10-13-2007, 08:14 PM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Fuel Problems - Wont start

sounds like fuel delivery is the issue check the fuel pump pressure its putting out it might just be that its going out also check the fuel filter as well cause if that is clogged then it will restrict your fuel pressure.

Old 10-14-2007, 11:52 AM
BigGreenMonster is an unknown quantity at this point

Is the 96 the CPI? You know theres a service bulletin on them.. They fail, quite habitually.They run about 350 bucks from Autozone. Again, I'm not sure if yours is the CPI. Basically they had one big fuel injector as opposed to several smaller ones They are easy enough to replace if you don't mind getting a little dirty. Also could be a fuel pump, GM trucks are not well known for ideal pumps. Sell at least 3 a week in le zona De auto.

Old 10-14-2007, 01:35 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The 96+ are the SCFI with the MFI spider being introduced (phased in) in mid-late '02.

You really need to test the fuel pressure to determine if it is a fuel delivery problem from the pump or another problem completely unrelated.

Old 10-14-2007, 02:57 PM

Thanks for the help, since I can't get it running my mechanic is gonna stop by and see if he can determine the problem.. then it's just a matter of fixing it.

Old 10-17-2007, 04:33 PM

Okay, so I found out that it was my fuel pump. It was only shooting out 38 pounds of pressure, and it has to shoot 50 to run. New pump, -$470, and it works, thanks for the help guys!