Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Fuel Pump Brand Survey

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 05:43 PM
JustBlaze! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fuel Pump Brand Survey

Hello everyone,

I'm replacing the fuel pump on my Blazer this weekend and wanted to get your opinion on which fuel pump to get. There was a similar thread on this topic but it was for a 95 (I think they had a different one), so figured I'd post another one for the 96/97. I've had conflicting information as to which brand was OEM. Some places say Delphi and some say AC Delco. Which one is it? Which brand did you use for your Blazer when you replaced your fuel pump? Why did you choose that brand, and where did you get it? Would you buy the same brand again?

Thanks for your help.

Old 02-26-2007, 09:51 PM
Kordog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Fuel Pump Brand Survey

ACDelco, and Delphi are both OEM. Delphi was used more recently, but both would be a good way to go as far as a replacement pump for your Blazer. I would use either one in mine. Korey.

Old 02-26-2007, 11:22 PM
KLBlazer07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep, I bought ACDelco, but I would use both too.

Old 02-27-2007, 01:43 AM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

Still got whatever the assy plant put in. At 99,xxx miles now.

Old 02-27-2007, 02:53 AM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

I got AC Delco

Old 02-27-2007, 04:02 AM
MNHawk is an unknown quantity at this point

You also could had switched it to an EXTERNAL pump over an INTERNAL pump.

I have been researching this due to so many KNOWN issues with the INTERNAL pumps (over heating, burning out, shorting out, ect..)
If youknow what you are doing its not bad at all. If you have to have a shop do it (under warranty do it via MFG, out of warranty Trusted Mechanic).
Just for giggles I tried a spare pump (Internal) I had for a 3.3 ($20 new) I had sitting around. Blazer ran just fine with it. So looks like I need to RSVP GM and see what interchanges they list. And funny thing is my Radom misfire (SES blinking) code never showed up like it did with the orginal pump, even when I ran it below 1/4 tank. So far 70 gal has been run with this pump and no problems.

Old 02-27-2007, 05:43 PM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

MNHawk could you clarify the 3.3??? was it for a GM or other??? I am doing research on brands for external and other alternatives to the expensive fuel pumps that come with the Blazer/S10

Old 02-27-2007, 08:44 PM

The pump was an : Airtex E3290 Electric Fuel Pump
Its designed for the GM, Buick, Olds 3.3 lt engines Year range 93 to 99.

With the external just about any external pump that out puts 60-65 PSI for FI systems should work (per say performance parts dealer). They say this is done on lots of EFI systems for off road and race performance.

Old 02-27-2007, 11:35 PM
Kordog is an unknown quantity at this point

MNHawk your pump is replaceable just as the pump alone, and allot of the GM pumpswere interchangable, but on the newer ones from 96 on (I believe, but on the '98 and newer for sure)were modular units that need to be replaced as an entire unit. As for an external pump you would need to remove the old pump, because the dead pump in the tank will be a restriction for the suction of the fuel for the new pump, and could actually cause the new external pump to burn up real fast.If the new pump is installed properly, and the wiring checked, and/or replaced, the new pump will last a long time. The only time I see these units replaced repeatedly is because I see techs forget to check the connectors and replace them when they go bad which causes the new pump to fail due to not enough current to keep them running strong. I have quite a few fleet vehicles that we replace these pumps allot, but not on the same truck repeatedly, because we replace the connector when needed. Korey

Old 02-28-2007, 05:28 AM

Odd, I have done external fuel pump conversions before and very rare have I ever had to remove the internal pump. Heck at a Junk Yard I grew up working for we use to just remove the fuel lines and then tilt the car/truck up and let it pour out (even with internal fuel pumps) without flow restriction. None of the conversions have ever came back with a burnt out pump due to not removing the internal pump. I will admit though that most of the converstions where for no road use. And the few that were for road use only 1/2 of them opted not to remove the internal pump. I normally suggest to remove it for safety reasons, not as a needed thing to do.
Not to go floating off the topic here, but when I use to work for a used car lot, we would go to dealer auctions all the time. And there were dozens from MFG dealerships that were there that had external pumps so that they would be able to run threw the auction and bring in better money. I would always look for this so we would know not to go too high on it. It was a common thing for them to do to help unload trade ins and/or repos. And their internal pumps where not removed.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Brand Survey