Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Fuel spider conversion

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 08:02 AM
Beginning Member
Cyberlight is on a distinguished road
Default Fuel spider conversion

Ok guys, I've spent a lot of time searching through the forums and found that several people have experienced the same problems I am having which are:

Hard starting,
Misfire at idle,
hesitation when accelerating from a stop,
raw gas smell in the exhaust,
backfiring when decelerating from highway speeds,
fuel pressure test revealed 65 psi when pump starts, then drops to about 20 to 25 in less than a minute.

Based on information I've corraled on the forums, it is most likely the fuel spider and/or FPR. Question I have is, is it worth it to do a MFI conversion, or just replace with another OEM poppet valve EFI unit. Both come with a new FPR and the MFI unit is more expensive. The truck as almost 200k on it. Also, is it possible that my problems are caused by something else like an EGR valve or weak ignition coil? I just put a new coil in it earlier this year, but maybe its crappy or something. I've also got new plugs and wires but I'll most likely change the plugs again because they are probably all fouled up. Also, it seems like its only misfiring on one cylinder based on the whole car shaking when idling. What do you guys think? Thanks.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:39 AM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Sounds more like an ignition issue than a low fuel delivery one. If it isn't getting enough fuel then how could it be in the exhaust? Sure it may not be burning effectivly but it would be burning all of the little bit of gas in there. Check the distributor, rotor, vacuum lines etc.

Just thinking about it a bit more what about O2 sensors, MAF? Something could be sending wrong info & causing it to run lean or engaging the knock sensor to retard the ignition.

Last edited by Rottidog; 11-16-2010 at 09:49 AM.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:23 AM
Beginning Member

Well about last March, the coil went out on my when I was driving, had it towed becasue I didn't know what was wrong, guy who fixed it said he replaced the coil and noticed the idle misfire, he tried replacing the entire distributor and PCM and still nothing. He seemed convinced it was in the fuel and told me it would cost several hundred to fix, so I said thanks but no thanks, I'll just deal with it. I did hollow out the cat becasue the substrate had some loose and was rattling around, and I've heard this may cause some problems with the engine, but I don't know if this is true.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:33 AM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Also could be something as simple as a plug wire grounding out, but the backfiring when slowing down... timing belt slip? Still thinking vacuum or some ignition issue.

Old 11-16-2010, 12:03 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

And you are driving...???

Old 11-17-2010, 07:31 AM
Beginning Member

Oh yeah, I guess I should have included that. I have a 1997 Blazer 4WD with 199400 miles.