Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Got the 02 motor in the 98 but wont stay running

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 08:19 PM
Starting Member
DaddysBlazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Got the 02 motor in the 98 but wont stay running

Well spent all day putting the motor in the truck. Started the day by tapping the hole for the larger knock senser dropped the motor in the truck, connected the torque converter and after that everything went so smooth finished up then tryed to crank and nothing. Just would run the gas I poured into the intake out and then shut off. I can hear the fuel pump turning on and I took the gas lines back apart and there is pressure at the spider but will not stay running please any Ideas. Thanks

Old 08-29-2011, 08:52 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Need to see how MUCH pressure is there. anything under 50 at key on is a no no. needs to be around 60 with key on,and hold above 52ish for 10 min.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:24 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Did all of the fuses check out ok? Specifically the ECM 1 fuse (10A) in the underhood fuse/relay center. The ECM 1 fuse powers all of the injectors as well as several power inputs to the PCM itself.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:29 PM
69chevelle is on a distinguished road

did you check for codes? make sure there are no bent pins on your spider wiring harness(the plug)

I am assuming you have the intake tubed put on with the maf sensor plugged in?
cpk sensor I am assuming would be ok seeing as it runs when you pour gas in...

Old 08-29-2011, 09:33 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Good point on the intake system. If the MAF sensor is still plugged in, but the intake hat is not on the throttle body, the PCM will not see the airflow and will not put in the right amount of fuel to support an engine start.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:27 PM
Starting Member

Well I got home from work today and dicided to start by changing the spider assembly. And it starts and stays running this is wonderful I thought, some white smoke came out but that was expected concidering the motor has sat for a year or so. This made me so happy considering this is the first motor I have ever changed out. But then I stared to drive it and the best way I can explain it is its shaking. Its got new plugs, feul filter, and new spider assembly. I just dont have alot of money left and I was wondering were to go next feul pump or timing I have a new set of wires to put on it tomarrow I just got dark so fast. Ichecked the feul pressure with a backyard gauge I found In the shed and its saying I only have 30psi at the fpr would that cause the shakes or would the timing be the culprite if the wires dont fix it tomarrow. Any sujestions please? THANKS for the previous info It helped alot.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:02 AM
Administrator

30psi isn't enough to even start the engine, but I suspect your gauge is wrong. I would recommend getting another gauge and checking it again. Also remember to flush out the gauge (it should have a bypass line).

Which spider did you use? The one from the '02? The newer spider is considered an upgrade for all 96+ engines and will offer much more reliable fuel delivery over the older design.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:57 PM
Starting Member

Thanks again for the info but unfortunetly the new feul spider that I had was for a 98 so it was not the new design. Although the new design was what I took out, I think it may have been bad or even clogged up but theirs no way to know now. Anyway I geuss my next step will to be go get it diagnosed. Because I have found that just guessing can get costly fast. Also, this was a gauge i just found laying around, so i may have been faulty. I can hear the fuel pump kicking on when i start the truck. I'm now thinking after replacing the wires and spark plugs that it may be the timing?? Or fuel pump going bad. That's why I've decided to just go for the diagnosis & not waste anymore money than what I need to. Again Thanks for the info, very helpful.

Last edited by DaddysBlazer; 08-31-2011 at 09:46 PM.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:19 PM
Beginning Member
lt1/ta is on a distinguished road

This same thing happened to me when I changed out my motor the injectors were fine when it ran before then #5and 6 injector stopped working when i put the motor back in.

I would suggest pulling the upper plenum and pulling the injectors out the lower intake and connect the fuel and harness back up to the spider and unplug the ignition coil.Then have someone spin the motor over to make sure all of the injectors are spraying fuel.If and injector is not spraying it will definitely run rough and shake.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:08 PM
69chevelle is on a distinguished road

did you use the old distributor or the one with the motor? Is the dist drive gear in good shape or badly warn?
Do you have the coil from the old motor? try swapping them if you do.

Quick Reply: Got the 02 motor in the 98 but wont stay running