Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

gunk in passageways

Old 12-30-2012, 03:02 PM
drew.shaneyfelt is on a distinguished road
Default gunk in passageways

I just removed the upper and lower intake. I noticed a lot of gunk built up in the farthest passageways (shown in attached image). the one on the right is completely clogged.
First off anyone know what this is?
What is the best way to clean it out? Is there any problem if some of that falls into its hole?

Thanks, This forum is great. would not of been able to attempt intake gasket replacement without it.

Drew

Attached Thumbnails gunk in passageways-gunked_up2.jpg  
Old 12-30-2012, 04:10 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Those are coolant passages, they are blocked off by the lower intake manifold when it is installed on the engine. The "gunk" indicates neglect of the cooling system. It needs to be completely flushed out, (after the lower intake is installed back on the engine), along with the entire cooling system: radiator, heater core, engine block, hoses, and refilled with 50/50 Dexcool & distilled water. Make sure you use Felpro intake gasket set # MS98002T and follow tightening sequence & torque specs.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:29 PM
Starting Member
ugablazer12 is on a distinguished road

I agree with Captain Hook....It is neglect from the cooling system and a good idea before flushing it like he said would be to take a shop vac and put the hose directly up to each port for about a minute each...I just recently changed my intake do to a crack by my temp sensor and had the same problem cause by the previous owner using radiator stop leak ugh...but polished my new intake and spent about three hours cleaning everything before putting it back together and now it runs better than ever!!! Good luck and fyi be very careful with that oil pressure sensor it breaks very easy...

Old 12-31-2012, 05:59 PM
drew.shaneyfelt is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the tips! another question along the same lines...
Once everything is all back together is it OK to start the engine before I change the oil and flush the coolant system?

Old 12-31-2012, 06:35 PM
4X4GS10B is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't personally do that because coolant isn't good lube for the bottom end...

Old 12-31-2012, 07:51 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

change the oil at least before starting it. ocne its running,and nothing is leaking,flush the system.

Search this Thread