Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Hard to accelerate right after start

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 11:49 PM
Beginning Member
Sean89us is on a distinguished road

Like I said, I think my Particular problem is with the MAF sensor, but your problems don't seem like they are the same as mine. And I was planning on just buying a remanufactured sensor from autozone for $100, but that website you posted does have new ones for a fair price.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:32 AM
RobM is on a distinguished road

Did you try using a MAF sensor cleaner before buying a new unit? You can find the cleaner at AutoZone for about $6 a can. CRC makes it.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:02 PM
bob-inky is on a distinguished road

Ok guys here is the poop on the problem. I have been reading and looking and asking lots of questions. I figured I would try something. So this morning before I even started the Blazer I opened the hood and unplugged the Mass Air Flow Sensor. Started it up dropped it in gear right away no waiting and hit the gas, what a world of difference no bogging down no missing not even the least bit of hesitation.

Got to work plugged it back in and at lunch time started it and the problem was there again. Stopped at Advanced Auto picked up MAFS installed in the Blazer and I now have a very happy Blazer again with no running problem and lots more power then before.

Hope this helps the others with the problem and they decide to either buy one or try and clean it first with Mass Air Flow cleaner.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:49 PM
RangerG will become famous soon enoughRangerG will become famous soon enough

I don't think it is really a problem at all. It is more than likely just the transmission taking a second to catch up. I've seen it happen from cold start for many vehicles, including chev fullsizes, dodges, fords.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:49 PM
bob-inky is on a distinguished road

RangerG; I would hate to disagree with you Sir, but it is not the transmission taking a second to catch up. What we are experiencing is that on first start up you can push the gas all the way to the floor and get backfire, popping, and no RPM at all just as if it was running out of fuel. After about 30 seconds of run time doing this the problem goes away and never a bit of hesitation after that for the rest of the trip until you shut it down again.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:21 PM
Beginning Member

@bob-inky glad to hear it! I'll try cleaning mine first but if that doesn't work I'll be replacing it on Thursday. And @RangerG, bob is correct.

Old 07-29-2011, 06:42 PM
Beginning Member

Good news guys, I cleaned my MAF (it was filthy!) and my Blazer has been running perfectly since! No stuttering, no bogging down, nothing! $7 fix for the win! I hope this thread helps others in the future, because this problem is fixed.

Old 08-06-2011, 03:16 PM
Beginning Member
98BlazerBoy is on a distinguished road

This guy it gunna go buy some cleaner right now!!!!

Old 09-21-2011, 11:37 PM
Beginning Member
Ne s10 blazer is on a distinguished road

Been having the same bog down after start up. Ill be buying MAF cleaner tm!

Old 09-22-2011, 12:46 AM
RangerG will become famous soon enoughRangerG will become famous soon enough

Mine was spotless but I still cleaned it. Still acts the same.

I see no negative to it, but I might get a new MAF anyway because it throws a code at high rpms.

Quick Reply: Hard to accelerate right after start