Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

harness hookup to distributor, 350

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 02:25 PM
Beginning Member
tomwill454 is on a distinguished road
Default harness hookup to distributor, 350

I just put in a new cap, rotor, coil. There is only one harness spade terminal hookup coming off the harness, yet there are 5 spades on the distributor. It has been running, but the old distributor was destroyed. Am I safe to connect just the one terminal? It goes to the red side of the coil. Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions. What are the 5 spades on the distributor for? There are 3 in a row in back, and 2 in front. It's a 1985 k5, but had the engine replaced, so not sure what year it is.

Old 07-11-2010, 02:48 PM
Beginning Member

Ahhhhhh, I found the 3 end connector that goes to the back 3. That leaves just one left, on the front, the yellow wire lead to the coil. What's that one for? When I disonnected the cap and coil, there was no lead going to that spade. Is this a problem? Thannnnks!

Old 07-11-2010, 03:47 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

the three in the back go inside the distibutor the other wire that you found is the 12v source powering the coil and the 5th that you didnt find is for the tach. if you look really closely at the cap right above where all those wires plug in it will say "batt" and "Tach"

Old 07-11-2010, 05:07 PM
Beginning Member

Thank you abig84. Still won't start, though. Here's what happened - going down the road, and all of a sudden it dies, like someone pulled a plug. Just quit running. I've replaced the cap, rotor, coil (badly needed it), battery has plenty of juice and it turns over fine, looked into the carb, gas is coming out when it's pumped, but won't start. Is there another electrical device to look for, as it seems like the sudden death was due to some electrical sudden death?

Old 07-11-2010, 05:17 PM
Beginning Member

And oh - the rotor turns, and it's a mechanical fuel pump, replaced not too long ago. Was running ok just before it died all of a sudden. No noises, clunks, or smoke happened.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:56 PM
Beginning Member
Default No spark

I've got no spark from the new distributor/rotor/coil at end of plug wire. rotor turns. have gas in carb (4bbl). Is there another component to check, before I consider timing belt/chain?

Old 07-12-2010, 12:06 PM
BF Veteran

Did you replace the isnition module from inside the distributor? Its the little black thing with 2 wires in and 2 wires out. Other then that... Check too to see if you have 12volts going to the distributor.

If your rotor is spinning then your timing chain is still there

Old 07-12-2010, 05:58 PM
Beginning Member

Nope, that one's on my desk, waiting for me to take it to the parts store - they say they have the tool for testing it. Have checked ohms and voltages on everything else, am down to the ignition module. so I'm sure hoping that's it, rather than the timing chain jumping. I'll keep everyone posted here, thanks for the help. BTW, Autozone has a nice little online repair manual that walked me through the testing of all distributor parts - all you need is a volt/ohm meter - and a rubber band back-...except for the ignition module, that requires some special testing tool.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:41 PM
BF Veteran

I've had a few go out on me I actually carry extras just incase. If you got 12volt going to the distributor, got a new coil cap and rotor and you have no spark that's usually the problem

Old 07-13-2010, 01:52 PM
Beginning Member

Bingo! The ignition control module was bad. Replaced with new one, fired right up. Thanks aBig84 for the help, and to this forum for being here.

Quick Reply: harness hookup to distributor, 350