Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Having it serviced tommorow....

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 12:40 PM
Starting Member
Crestwood1001 is on a distinguished road
Default Having it serviced tommorow....

Im taking my 95 in tommorow for a new fuel filter givin that it has not been changed in a LONG time. But my check engine light has been on and off for a while and when its on it idles rough, leading me to think its a bad egr valve which i told my mechanic, should i have them scan it to make sure thats the problem or just have them replace the egr? I know it will cost extra for them to scan it and just wanna make sure im making a good choice...

Old 05-22-2009, 01:10 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You really need to know what the code is before taking a stab at how to correct it. It could be something completely unrelated to your EGR valve.

You can clean the EGR valve. I would try that first before replacing it.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:29 PM
Starting Member

See the thing is its cheaper to replace it then have them scan it, the check engine light accually just went off on my way to get some lunch lol, the fact that its on and off like that is what leads me to thinking its the valve

Old 05-22-2009, 02:05 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Just because it is cheaper does not mean that it is the proper way to go about it. It would be cheaper to throw your money out the window if the EGR valve is not the problem...

Old 05-22-2009, 02:46 PM
Starting Member

Lol this is true, well i just dropped it off and told them to run a scan on it, i will be picking it up around noon tommorow so ill let u know how it goes

Old 05-22-2009, 02:47 PM
Administrator

Just trying to help you get your truck fixed! It is a shame when I see people throw money at things hoping to fix a particular problem when they could have listened to what their vehicle is telling them.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:59 PM
Starting Member

I know man i appreciate it, i wish i had a scanner to do this stuff myself, getting the scan is expensive and being 17 its hard for me to afford stuff like this lol. I went to advanced auto for the free scan and they dont do it cause the computer is to old or some BS do u know anywhere that does it for free?

Old 05-22-2009, 03:11 PM
Administrator

If you have the tweener "OBD1.5" ECU, no... There were three different ECU/PCM setups for 95.

Old 05-22-2009, 04:48 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

schucks/checkers/thrifty/carquest will courtesy scan. but see ^^^ as to possible problems

Old 05-23-2009, 10:16 AM
Starting Member

Alright so i wake up to this crappy day, my mechanic calls me and says the hooked it up and scanned it and i have multiple bad oxygen sensors PLUS the egr valve, he says one could be causing the other witch makes sense i guess. Now it wants 100 bucks to replace the egr and i looked up prices online and thats about right if not a little cheeper. But for today i told him to just chance the fuel filter. Im gonna have to take it in next week to fix this dam mess, what should i have done first 100$ egr or 40$ oxygen sensors.

Quick Reply: Having it serviced tommorow....