Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

HELP ASAP.. COOLANT TEMP SENSORS

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008 | 02:59 PM
salvy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HELP ASAP.. COOLANT TEMP SENSORS

HEY GUYS, ANYONE KNOW IF THERE'S 1 OR 2 TEMP SENSORS ON A 2000 BLAZER, I CHANGED THE 1 IN THE SIDE OF THE BLOCK W/ 2 WIRE PIGTAIL- THATgoes for theGAUGE. IS THERE ANOTHER, I NOTICED SOMETHING PRETTY BIG NEXT TO T-STAT HOUSING in the manifold, W/5 WIRE PIGTAIL PLUGGED IN. WHAT'S THAT CALLED? WHAT DOES IT DO? MAN I'M SO FUSTRATED W/ THIS!!!! ANYONE KNOW PLEASE LET ME KNOW, THANKS ALOT...

Old 10-10-2008 | 03:40 PM
Beginning Member
uemf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: HELP ASAP.. COOLANT TEMP SENSORS

First, no need to shout ! Lower case dude.

and if you want to know which is for you gauge (assuming you have a gauge instead of an idiot light )
with the engine warm enough to show on the gauge. shut off the engine and disconnect one sensor you suspect is for the gauge. tun on the key... does it still register ? if so, turn off the key and reconnect the one you just disconnected. now disconnect the other one. is that the one? turn on the key and ...
at least that's how I'd do it.

Old 10-10-2008 | 03:44 PM

ok, first is there 2 sensors?

Old 10-11-2008 | 07:31 PM
Starting Member
gscrippler is an unknown quantity at this point

my 95 has the gauge one on the drivers side of the block and a small one on the front left side of the head for the computer it is a small one with 2 wires hard to see my heater hose to the manifold blocks the sighte of it Look in that area.

Old 10-13-2008 | 11:20 PM
rogggg1020 is an unknown quantity at this point

with that bein said then which one would you hook up an after market temp guage to??? cause i seen the two wire plug on top of my motor and i also see the coolant sensor on the side of my block and right now the guage is hooked to the side which i thought would be the right one but the instructions said to hook it to the warning buzzard???what in the heck is that and where is it located???

Old 10-14-2008 | 06:53 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

To the original poster. Lets start with your problems.

I do not believe that a 2000 Blazer has two sensors. The sensor in the side of the block is sent to the PCM which reads the temperature using the input for engine operation as well as outputs a signal to the gauge cluster.

The 5 wire plug near the thermostat housing should be for the EGR valve. It should enter into the top of the valve. The valve itself is about the size of a soda can and has a two bolt flange where it mounts into the lower intake.

Rogggg, you need not look for two sensors as your truck is WAY older than the one being discussed here. Please limit your question(s) to one thread instead of asking in multiple threads.

Old 10-14-2008 | 09:52 AM

okay, can the egr be cleaned, would I need a new gasket, or does it have to be replaced?

Old 10-14-2008 | 10:23 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

EGR can be cleaned (there is a thread about that somewhere around here). You will need to get a new gasket. One is made with an integrated screen. I do not know the part number off the top of my head, but the parts counter people at your favorite parts store should be able to help you out in that regard.

Old 10-14-2008 | 10:32 AM

Thanks, I'll do that, let ya know how I make out after, I appreciate all your help.

Old 10-14-2008 | 10:51 AM

I ordered the gasket w/the screen, It's definitely never been taken off, Am I in for any surprises after it's off ? If it was bad I would have a code right?

Quick Reply: HELP ASAP.. COOLANT TEMP SENSORS