Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Help! Don't know what to do

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 03:19 PM
Topgun is on a distinguished road
Default Help! Don't know what to do

I bought a brand new engine from a guy last week for my 99 Blazer 2dr with 4 wheel drive. It turns out that when I started pulling out the engine from the truck that the heads are different. My engine has center bolt valve cover bolt heads and the new engine does too, Except that the new heads have angled intake manifold bolt threads and the engine in the truck has them straight up . So I think to myself,OK I will just use my existing heads and just use the short block. So as I get further along in the engine removal process I also notice that the trucks engine has a I think 6 bolt timing cover and the new engine looks to have more as though it is meant for a stamped steel cover and not a plastic one like the truck has. I just need you engine gods out there to tell me if I am in trouble or can I salvage this situation . Also will the pan be a problem too or not? Are the 4x4 pans different from the 2wd ones? Thankx in advance.................Rich

Old 10-24-2010, 03:25 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The "new" engine is for an older CPI truck. There will be more that is different as well. Short answer, unless you can find a way to mount the CKP (crankshaft position) sensor into a steel timing cover, you won't be able to use that block.

And yes, the pans are different, but the block on up isn't (same year range, etc).

Old 10-24-2010, 03:33 PM

Thankx dude. I was afraid of that. I guess I will have to redo the old engine or just buy another shortblock. Can you tell me what year this engine I bought is from ? so that I can describe it properly when I sell it. I kills me since it is all brand new and bored 40 over. Yuo live and learn I guess .......Rich

Old 10-24-2010, 03:43 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

From the Tech Article (DIY) Index link in my signature:
Rebuilding the Chevy 262 by Doug Anderson (external link to EngineBuilderMag.com)

Old 10-24-2010, 06:45 PM
Default I need another engine bought wrong one

Anybody here know were is the best place that I can buy a reman engine for my 99. I also have a complete 95 bored 40 over with recon heads that I bought and it will not work because it is not set up for OBDll . I am taking offers. ............Rich

Old 10-24-2010, 06:53 PM
Administrator

Rich, please do not post for-sale items outside the Classifieds section.

As far as where to find a 96 thru mid 02 engine for your truck, local parts yards or car-parts.com should be able to find the appropriate used engine for your truck. As far as remans go, I have used Jasper engines and transmissions in the past.

Old 10-24-2010, 06:56 PM

Sorry. Thanks

Old 10-24-2010, 08:20 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

*Merging two threads concerning the same problem.*