Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Help please

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 01:53 AM
Jacob1Jet2 is on a distinguished road
Default Help please

hi so I bought a 2002 Chevy blazer I have to jump it to get it started smell gas when I am going if I hit the break or gas it dies on me I have replace the spark plugs and the wires they were broken in half and black I don’t think it the fuel pump I can’t find the issue

Old 03-12-2019, 02:47 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Welcome to the forum. This is the place to be to keep your Blazer on the road.

A bit of advice: When posting share the year but also if it is a 2dr or 4dr and if it is 4wd or not. If it is 4wd tell us if it has 3-buttons to control the transfer case or 4-buttons.

Most importantly, using punctuation is super helpful for us reading your posts.

You smell gas when it is running and the spark plugs are covered with carbon? You also have trouble with it dying when at idle? I think a possible problem could be that the fuel injectors under the upper part of the intake manifold could be leaking fuel directly into the intake ports causing an overly rich condition. This could also explain the fuel smell from un-burnt fuel. Are you getting a "check engine" light? If so, go to an autoparts store and have them retrieve any codes and use them to help diagnose the issues. Be sure to share them here too. When my fuel injection "spider" was leaking one of the oxygen sensors reported a fault. I replaced it but the problem came back because it wasn't the O2 sensor failing but rather the source of the problem was the leaky fuel injectors.

Once you get things running, replacing the distributor cap and rotor will likely be a good thing to do but that is likely not the origin of the fuel smell. You could try replacing the cap and rotor now because it is so easy to do.

This time of year batteries on their last legs will falter. If it is 5 years old, it might be able to hold a charge or deliver much current anymore. An auto-parts store might be able to test it for you.

Old 03-12-2019, 06:42 AM

Sorry about that.... So I have a 2002 Chevy Blazer 2 wheel drive V6 4.3L Last Night I Finally got it started when I hit the gas it either shuts the whole truck off completely won’t even crank wait about 5 mins and the truck comes back I can’t get it to the auto shop
with out it breaking and there is no engine light on

Old 03-12-2019, 06:54 AM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

I agree with Christine, start by checking your fuel pressure. Rent a tester from a parts store, and read all the posts on here about how to check pressure.

Let us know what the results are, and we can go from there

Old 03-12-2019, 06:59 AM

Okay will let you know thank you

Old 03-12-2019, 11:57 AM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by cleburne red
I agree with Christine, start by checking your fuel pressure. Rent a tester from a parts store, and read all the posts on here about how to check pressure.

Let us know what the results are, and we can go from there
Oh good. I'm glad to hear another opinion (and that my diagnosis is not out in left-field). I could easily see a leak from the fuel injectors causing a flooding condition that would prevent the truck from being able to be restarted right away.

Old 03-12-2019, 12:05 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by christine_208
Oh good. I'm glad to hear another opinion (and that my diagnosis is not out in left-field). I could easily see a leak from the fuel injectors causing a flooding condition that would prevent the truck from being able to be restarted right away.
"Check the fuel pressure" is pretty much the first thing anyone needs to do with any problem on these trucks lol! It's such a common failure point, and will dramatically help with troubleshooting.

"My brake lights don't work, and the rear end is grinding" "check the fuel pressure and report back to us"

Old 03-12-2019, 12:08 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by cleburne red
... "My brake lights don't work, and the rear end is grinding" "check the fuel pressure and report back to us"
I literally LOL'd! Yes, be sure to always check the fuel pressure, even before asking what color the truck is.

Old 03-12-2019, 10:40 PM

I got it to crank up ran just fine until I press the gas or the break then completely shuts off the truck gonna get the gauges check Friday I’ll let you know