Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Helping out a friend, again..

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 01:35 PM
Beginning Member
sarmikgar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Helping out a friend, again..

Hi all, been a little bit of a lurker on this forum, as I dont own a Blazer, but I do work on one from time to time.

Back in 09 I had this thread about the Blazer running rough which turned out to be the spider. This is a 94 4.3 CPI 4x4.

https://blazerforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-35/1994-4-3-blazer-running-rough-26583/

It is coming back to me today, to look at, running rough and dieing out, but will sometimes run normally. Owner suggests it may be a vacuum leak.

Has had new radiator and new trans installed not by me among other minor things since 09. Owner tells me plugs wires etc have not been replaced since prior to my work on the spider in 09.

Plan to pull the intake and look inside, and may pick up plugs, wires, cap and rotor.

Will do a fuel pressure test, and check codes if any of course, and plan to look for any vacuum leak.

Will be starting in about an hour when the Blazer gets here.

Any other suggestions appreciated!

Old 03-13-2012, 03:09 PM
war00 is on a distinguished road

sounds like you got basics anyways.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:42 PM
Beginning Member

Looks like it needs a new spider to me.. again

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...r/100_1766.jpg

Old 03-13-2012, 03:45 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like the 'nut kit' (internal fuel lines) were not replaced at the time of the previous repair which is a major no-no. The 'nut kit' should be replaced whenever it is disturbed, period. The lines are just nylon tubing heat shrunk around ****** plastic fittings and the movement required to separate them from the spider will cause them to leak.

While you are in there, replace the electrical connector to the maxi-injector in the spider to thwart another potential problem.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:40 PM
Beginning Member

Arrgh!

Saw your post and went out hunting for the nut kit.

Finally got back home and installed everything. Primed the system 7 times and then bumped key, almost started.. bumped key again and and it started, sorta rougher and then cleaned up slightly within 10 sec or so.

Running great when throttle applied now.

Idle/off throttle is crap though still. Died out on me backing out on first trip around the block.

I cleaned things as I put them back on(iac, egr passage on intake, etc.).

Maybe a new iac?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!!

(edit) when I saw I "installed everything" I mean the nut kit and spider.. havent done anything to the ignition yet.

Last edited by sarmikgar; 03-13-2012 at 08:58 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:58 PM
Beginning Member

Put new plugs in(ac delco), and it idles and runs alot better.

It has not died out on me from idle since new plugs were put in, and is smoother when driving with no throttle input.

Still rougher at full stop idle than I would like.

The owner gave me the go ahead for wires, cap and rotor purchase tomorrow morning, will put those on and hope for a more stable idle.

Will post pics of the plugs in a minute.

Any other suggestions would be very much appreciated!!

Old 03-14-2012, 01:46 AM
Beginning Member

Plug pic, passenger side 3 on the left, drivers on right:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...r/100_1775.jpg

Old 03-14-2012, 08:35 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

In all of this, have you verified fuel pressure & leak down rate within spec (>55psi pressure with the pump on & above >50psi 10 minutes after pump shuts off)? If not, you need to do that.

The plugs are darker on the driver side due to the leak seeping around the nozzle lines in the LIM. The plugs likely could have been cleaned, gap checked, and reinstalled. What brand of plugs did you use? Hopefully AC Delco or NGK Double Plats as that is what these trucks prefer. Don't go cheap on the cap & rotor either as aftermarket ones can have worse problems than the original you are replacing.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:30 AM
Beginning Member

Have not verified fuel pressure(which I think could be an underlying issue), may do that today.

Put in new Delco plugs, had Delco in it but they were over 5 years old as are the cap, rotor and wires.

Was thinking of doing cap, rotor and wires today, but I wont have access to the GM parts would be Autozone stuff.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:54 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by sarmikgar
Have not verified fuel pressure(which I think could be an underlying issue), may do that today.

Put in new Delco plugs, had Delco in it but they were over 5 years old as are the cap, rotor and wires.

Was thinking of doing cap, rotor and wires today, but I wont have access to the GM parts would be Autozone stuff.
At least dont buy cheapest.. although Duralast vertical tower caps shouldnt have quality issues, still go with MSD. I think 'Gold' is just different color same biter promotions as 'Gold" AV cables.. bunch of crap to bilk the yahoos.

but there's a weird thing there: Accel dist cap {side-tower, for a 99}20 bucks? Used to be known for decent products and their wireset isnt cheap.

Quick Reply: Helping out a friend, again..