Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

High idle problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 01:03 AM
97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about

Alright i have to ask the dumb question because i did the same thing, Did you make sure to get your throttle cables connected correctly? Sometimes its hard to get the cruise cable connected all the way which holds open the throttle. while the truck is running try closing the throttle by hand and see if the idle drops.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:31 AM
Beginning Member
seanblazer is on a distinguished road

yeah i did kind of move it a little, and it didnt want to at all at first. Hmm, another thing to think about it guess. theyre about $100 dollars though so i dont know if i want to spend that kind of money not if im not sure thats it. i already did that with the tps and maf sensors
But definitely something to keep in mind and really look into.

man i wish i could rent parts from the parts store before buying.

are you talking about the one that screws in? I think i did it correctly, but I will try that as well just to make sure.

Thank you all very much for the help youve been giving. Not quite taken care of yet but its got to be getting close. I will make sure to update as soon as I find something more out. And will definitely post my solution when i get there.

Last edited by seanblazer; 05-29-2013 at 06:38 AM.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:41 AM
AndrewO1991 is on a distinguished road

Check your intake plenum for leaks (between MAF and Throttle Body). IF there is air getting in the engine past the MAF it will cause a high idle and a MAF code, I've seen the rubber matirial crack, also the Plastic piece that connects to the throttle body has to seat correctly. Also try plugging off the brake booster line.

Old 06-03-2013, 03:53 AM
Beginning Member
seanblazer is on a distinguished road

well it seems like I got the idle right. I went through and checked everything out. No leaks in the plenum, sprayed some brake cleaner around the intake manifold and throttle body gaskets. checked the cruise cable. A friend of mines brother in law works at the chevy dealer ship in the town over and i talked to him about it. Said he would hook it up at work, tried to make it relearn the idle with the GM scanner and ran some terra clean through for me. checked out some things and came to the conclusion that the previous owner probably cranked up the idle because it was low from it being all gummed up so when i cleaned it out it ran high. I didn't even think of that. But it seems to be good so far, just did it yesterday so ill see if i notice anything odd for the next couple weeks.

My bouncing idle problem i believe was just from the defroster being on in the cold which still runs the compressor but it does drop too about 7 rise up to 9 and then settle at 8 OVER AND OVER AND OVER. isnt there something that should regulate that a little better to keep it a little more steady?

And on the scanner i watched my misfire count and at idle its 0s for all cylinders but if i rev it I get about 5-10 on cylinders 1 and 6 and 10-20 on cylinder 4. Is that enough to really worry about, its unnoticeable without the scan tool?