Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

High RPMs, slow acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 06:51 PM
Starting Member
hotEFFINmess is on a distinguished road
Exclamation High RPMs, slow acceleration

Hi everyone. I am new to the forums and I need HELP!!!!

I have a 2000 Blazer and I LOVE it to pieces. I've owned in for just a couple of months. It ran great when I test drove it and for a while since I've had it.

A few weeks ago, I noticed that the get up and go... got up and went.

When I press the gas pedal to accelerate, the RPMs go up really high before the tranny shifts and it accelerates slowly. It's aggravating. I don't know if this is affecting my gas mileage but if it is... AHH!

Can anyone give me an idea of what I can do, change, etc?

I don't know when the last tune up was done but I keep up with oil changes because I drive a lot.

I can turn wrenches somewhat and don't want to have to pay someone a lot of money to fix this if I can do it myself. All help is appreciated!!

Thanks!
JiLL

Old 06-25-2011, 07:01 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds almost like something in the transmission is slipping. Hows the transmission fluid level & condition?

Old 06-25-2011, 07:10 PM
Starting Member

I had my brother check it. The level was good and he said it still looked fine. It wasn't cloudy, murky, dirty or anything.

Old 06-25-2011, 07:16 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Did he check it with the engine running, transmission in park, with the truck nice and level?

Old 06-25-2011, 07:28 PM
Starting Member

Yes, yes and yes.

Old 06-25-2011, 07:58 PM
Administrator

You are probably going to have to take it in and have someone look at the trans fluid pressure. From your description, the engine is working properly, its just that the transmission isn't putting it to the ground. It's possible that the torque converter has failed, but that should be able to be diagnosed by a good transmission tech.

Old 06-25-2011, 08:28 PM
Starting Member

Ugh. This is becoming a headache. I guess I can take it to have it looked at on Monday. Gonna have to wait. Thanks for all your help! I was going to try Lucas Transmission Fix but maybe I'll have it looked at first.

Old 06-25-2011, 08:41 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

get it checked first thats your best option

Old 06-26-2011, 10:28 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Try some lucas. I put some in my dodge that was giving me weird fits and it straightened it out. Just make sure you remove some fluid before adding it. overfilling is as bad as nothing at all.

Last edited by chris015; 07-23-2011 at 02:22 PM.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:49 AM
kristoph30 is on a distinguished road

LOL Chris015.....look again, Jill is a lady. Dont worry, I miss details too.

I am not a big fan of snake oil. Putting some magic juice in the trans isnt going to fix 99% of the possible problems.

Get it checked. A little problem becomes a big problem quick!
No codes?
Have you counted the shifts? Make sure it is actually going through all the gears.
When you say the RPM go high before shifting, what RPM does it shift at.
I am really hoping you come back and say you have a code.

Sorry, Its late - my thought are pretty fragmanted.

Good luck!
It might even be something as simple is the clutch fan being locked up.

Quick Reply: High RPMs, slow acceleration