Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Hose coupling stuck in intake...Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 04:25 PM
Beginning Member
ahawks47 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hose coupling stuck in intake...Help!

On my 1994 Blazer I had a leak in the coolant line between the heater core and the intake manifold. I ended up breaking (not on purpose) the quick disconnect coupling off inside the manifold, and about 2 threads are sticking out. I tried using some channel locks to twist it out, but the material of the coupling just crumbled (I think it was made out of cast or just crappy metal). So I took a #6 spiral easy out and all that happened was that I basically cut threads into the inside of coupling, and the same results with the next size up easy out. The only idea I have left (short of having someone else do it) would be to take a hacksaw blade and cut the coupling into sections, BUT I am worried that 1) I could mess up the threads and 2) that the filings could cause some damage to the cooling system.

So after the long novel (sorry), are these legitimate concerns OR is there another trick?
Also I do not currently have a garage or a lot of time so taking the intake manifold off and drilling it out or something similar isn't really an option.

Thanks for all of your help in advance!

Old 10-19-2009, 08:34 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Check out this thread:
Heater core hoses

It discusses the same problem on a v8.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:12 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks for the lead. I found another forum with this same problem, and it seemed very helpful.

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums/...se-intake.html

In the thread they offered this part, any one have any luck with this tool?

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...PartType=C0142

Old 10-21-2009, 10:59 PM
Beginning Member
Default Update/Tips or tricks?

I tried the Dorman heater hose fitting removal tool...it did not work, but I think part of it was because I used an easy out that was larger than the fitting removal tool first. I just used a hacksaw to cut it into a couple of pieces and broke it out with a screwdriver/chisel. I decided to replace the quick disconnect with a barb fitting, part of the reason I did that was so that I could change the hose out and not have to replace it with a dealer only hose. The only problem I had before it got too dark/cold out was getting the new hose onto the heater core. Are there any special tricks I should know? Or what a good lube would be to use on the heater core bib?

Old 10-22-2009, 08:47 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I'd just wet the hose with some coolant and slide it home.