Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

hot engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 01:58 PM
blazerboy124 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default hot engine

i am new to this forum, and i have a few problems/questions, first off my engine tends to run hot from time to time, and i have replaced my heatercore and it still runs hott. and occasionaly it smells like antifreeze under the hood, but there are no leaks, i did a pressure test and didnt find any. any tips?

Old 08-02-2007, 02:08 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: hot engine

Please put your vehicle information in your signature and attach it to your posts so that we know what you have.

When was the last time you flushed the cooling system and replaced the thermostat AND radiator cap? A faulty radiator cap will cause cooling system problems.

When you did the pressure test, did the pressure hold? If not, you have a leak whether you can see it or not, it is still there. How does your oil look?

Old 08-02-2007, 02:11 PM
blazerboy124 is an unknown quantity at this point

i did the pressure test a few weeks ago and yes the pressure did hold. the last time i flushed the cooling system was when i replaced the heater core. the thermostat was replaced with the heatercore and i havent replaced the radiator cap, i'll do that and see what it does. thanks for the help.

Old 08-02-2007, 02:13 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Also, you may want to clean the radiator (exterior) of any debris that may be restricting the air flow through it.

*EDIT* Another problem that I have seen that would cause overheating would be the removal of the lower air dam (behind the bumper extending down to the frame, mounting under the front A-arm mounts). This air dam actually aids the fan in pulling air through the radiator by diverting air under the truck. When not installed, it'll allow air to enter the engine compartment behind the radiator, pressurizing the engine compartment, making the fan work harder.

Old 08-02-2007, 02:16 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

And or straighten the fins on the raditor if they are smashed from rock/bugs/debris.