Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

How do you disable AWD in 94 Bravada

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 07:31 PM
Jonathan J. Janacek is on a distinguished road
Default How do you disable AWD in 94 Bravada

Hey Fellas, I had a 2wd Blazer back in high school, but this AWD 94 Bravada is kickin my butt.

I replaced the driver side CV axle bc I heard a popping from the driver side when making a left hand turn. After replacing the axle, I still hear the same popping noise.

I don't need the AWD all of the time, so I was wondering if there is a way to disable the AWD in the bravada? Remove a fuse? Pull a sprocket? I'm just looking for some help. The AWD kills my MPG and I gotta get rid of this popping noise.

Any suggestions?
Thanks...

Old 08-26-2012, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Wait for others to chime in but I don't think its as easy as you're going. I believe it requires swapping the t case and a few other things. I could be wrong but hopefully someone will help us both out in understanding lol.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:48 PM
Starting Member
serrasalmus is on a distinguished road

i just took off the front drive shaft for summer and put it back on in winter

Old 08-27-2012, 08:50 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by serrasalmus
i just took off the front drive shaft for summer and put it back on in winter
DO NOT do this with the early AWD trucks. It will destroy your transfer case. The early AWD transfer case is a dedicated torque split transfer case that splits the power all of the time. If there is no front drive shaft, you will eventually go no where and the internals of the transfer case will burn up.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:01 PM
Starting Member
serrasalmus is on a distinguished road

ok ill put it back in asap drove it around 7 months like that should have asked before i did thanks for the tid bit swartlkk. bravada is broke down anyway gotta leaking down fuel pump

Old 08-28-2012, 09:32 PM
Leeann_Bravada is an unknown quantity at this point

I doubt the popping noise is the CV axle or transfer case. It could be ball joint, wheel bearing/hub assembly, sway bar end links or bushings or torsion bar mounts.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:32 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

That dedicated torque split transfer case = if the front shaft isn't hooked up the fluid isn't rotating & it being a 'shared' case means it will fry the rest & that = no power to the rear.
If I'm right (I'll make it on the calendar if I am) the power goes to the transmission & then to the splitter transfer case & then to the wheels (front & back) so they share the same trans gearing/speed equally. If that middle transfer case has only one side of it not turning & it being a shared case - fubar!
Fluids aren't being circulated/cooled & componants as well. It's being shared... so well... you get the idea.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:54 PM
Starting Member
chcknugget is on a distinguished road

Did you have an alignment done after replacing the cv axle? Mine was binding up, but it went away after the alignment.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:08 AM
Jonathan J. Janacek is on a distinguished road

@Leeann- I've replaced the upper and lower ball joints, bushings on the upper control arm, and bushings on the Sway Bar. This only happens when I turn left and it doesn't happen every time.

@chcknugget- I haven't done an alignment yet b/c I wanted to make sure there wasn't anything else I had to replace before having an alignment done. If there was another part to replace, I didn't want to have to waste my money on another alignment, but I think that's my next step.

Thanks for your help everyone...you have taught me a lot....CV axle will stay In the vehicle!

Old 09-04-2012, 05:07 PM
Leeann_Bravada is an unknown quantity at this point

Yup, you need to check the torsion bar mounts. I did everything else on my '93 and that's what the banging on turns ended up being. By the time I figured it out, it banged on all turns.

Quick Reply: How do you disable AWD in 94 Bravada