Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

how do you get fluid in the transfer case? 20012 chvey blazer 4.3 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 03:27 PM
kyle123 is on a distinguished road
Default how do you get fluid in the transfer case? 20012 chvey blazer 4.3 4wd

ok so i just finished getting the transmission out what a job it turned out to be...so i got it out...but i took the transfer case out and all the fluid came out too...how do i get the fluid back in and if the answer is there is a plug on the side how do i know when enough is in there? thanks ahead of time...

Old 03-28-2010, 03:43 PM
mech cb is on a distinguished road

There should be two plugs-one drain and one fill. Your mechanic shops have a pump bucket they use to pump fluid up and into that fill hole(after it's installed again). You can use whatever means you know of. Some shops may let you borrow or rent thier pump bucket. You fill it up until the fluid is right even with the bottom of the hole. You should be able to stick your finger in straight and have fluid resting there. For an example-take off the top plug on your diff, and see how the fluid is in there. When I do it, I usually just pump until fluid starts coming out and then I give it a min to quit flowing out-with a drain pan below of course.

Old 03-28-2010, 03:51 PM
kyle123 is on a distinguished road

ok thanks...thats what i thought ...but wasnt sure...what a pain in the butt this job trned out to eb it will be a miracle if it works when im done i think i broke more than i fixed lol...and i ahev doen atkeast 15 transmissions and this one was the worst the tranny weighs like 600 pounds lol landed right on top of me busted my head open ...never doing a tranny on this thing again...im gonna sell it lol

Old 03-28-2010, 03:53 PM
mech cb is on a distinguished road

Haha! Have fun with that.

Old 04-01-2010, 04:30 PM
blazin'blazer is on a distinguished road

I am in pretty much the same boat, i just finished putting my rebuilt tranny (yay! more tham 2 gears again) into my truck and now i need to fill all the fluids back up.

My question is what do i fill the transfer case up with?

According to the "old guy" at mr. transmission i'm supposed to fill it up with atf, but according to my owners manual i fill it up with automatic transfer case fluid, gm part no. 12378396. According to my eyes and fingers when i drained it i should fill it up with a heavy weight gear oil, not atf. Is this heavy oil "automatic transfercase fluid?" I obviously don't need to waste my money with gm parts on something as simple as oil, i'm sure someone else makes something better for less money, (gotta love your local dealer) but what do i need?

sorry for the thread jack, but any replies would be helpful; i just wanna get my truck back on the road. Any last minute double checks or tips would be much appreciated too. This is my first vehicle and as such i'm some what new to working on them(other than somewhat basic jobs on parent's vehicles). It hasn't been a small task, however, with a blown tranny, blown intake gasket, clogged cat, blown ps pump, the list goes on (god i love my blazer)

Old 04-01-2010, 04:46 PM
Starting Member
OILCOUNTRY is an unknown quantity at this point

I just use automatic tranny fluid. Easiest way I found was a bottle with Skinny tip and just squeeze it in there.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:16 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It all depends on what transfer case you have. 3-button switch in the dash == NP233 which takes regular ATF. 4-button switch in the dash == NP236 which REQUIRES GM Autotrak 2 fluid.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:41 PM
Beginning Member
ebristol is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by swartlkk
It all depends on what transfer case you have. 3-button switch in the dash == NP233 which takes regular ATF. 4-button switch in the dash == NP236 which REQUIRES GM Autotrak 2 fluid.
What about the smart trac on the olds bravada?

Old 05-11-2010, 02:28 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

That depends on what year you have. 1998+, it requires GM AutoTrak 2. I can't remember off the top of my head what the earlier borg warner transfer cases used.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:20 AM
Beginning Member
edhawks is on a distinguished road

I have a small hand pump specifically designed for filling lower units on outboard engines. Works great. Screws right on the top of the fluid container.

Quick Reply: how do you get fluid in the transfer case? 20012 chvey blazer 4.3 4wd