Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

how much would it cost to do a v8 swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 01:55 PM
xNOOKx is on a distinguished road
Default how much would it cost to do a v8 swap

i have a 1986 chevy blazer with a 2.8 liter v6 and its shot so i would like 2 swap it out 4 a 350 v8 small block and i wandering how much it would cost to hire some body 2 do it or would it b wise 2 do

Old 04-23-2009, 02:37 PM
mikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud of

if you have to ask usually itll cost too much.

Old 04-23-2009, 02:46 PM
boomtruck97 is an unknown quantity at this point

that is one of those all up to you type questions - lets look at a few things.

Are we looking for a carburated or Fuel Injected 350? Do you want one to rebuild first or already running and ready to go? What knoledge do you have now, or what level are you at?

My suggestion to you - Do know however that i dont know you personally so dont take offense if i say to work under your ability, but:

I would use a carborated 350, a lot less wiring and headaches. goto a junk yard or craigslist.com and find an old car that is rocking the engine and tranny you want and buy for parts. i found one earlier in my area on there for 400 bux out of a 72 something. Anyhow - take the car or truck home and pull the motor. Next buy a nice book about rebuilding a 350 step by step, and of coarse a good quality rebuild kit (so you have it all at once) Then prep your blazer, you may need to research motor mounts and such but if the stock 350 ones rebolt in blazer you still have them in parts car.
Things to think about:
i suggested this because it will save you lots of cash in the long run and help you learn more about it all. Also you will be aware if anything needed rigged into place and so forth.
If you wanted a shop to do it i know it will be expensive because they will kill on the install price and any fabrication will be outragious. not to mention finding a shop that wont screw you and still be willing to do the work. And my way will be a longer process that will ease the wallet smashing a bit since it will alll be taking time to do.
If that is your daily vehicle - i suggest you dont do this however. i would never suggest a swap on a daily - to many faults that could land you in trouble.

Old 04-24-2009, 02:06 AM
xmradioguy is an unknown quantity at this point

First off are 2wd or 4wd it makes a huge difference in prices of the parts you will need. If you have a TBI 2.8 you can use a TBI 350 and for most of it its plug and play might have to lengthen some wires. Now the tranny behind your 2.8 will not work so you have to also buy a transmission. I would say plan on spending $2000 and then double that and you might get it done. Oh and my TBI 350 in my 91 jimmy is a daily and runs like a champion you just have to research what your doing and use the proper parts (ECM, ECS, knock sensor etc.)