Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

I blew up my motor

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 09:51 PM
95_4door is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I blew up my motor

Well, I'm not having a good holiday so far. I was heading to my parents house for christmas yesterday, and I blew up my motor. I think I threw a rod through my oil pan. Oil comes back out just as fast as I put it in. I had to have it towed home and I was so p*ssed that I just told my wife to put everything in the Avalon and lets get going. When I get back home Wenesday, I will start to rip the skid plates off and take a look at the oil pan.
This just gives me a excuse to drop a 350 in it. My buddy has one that he will sell me that is bored .40 over. All I would have to do is throw it back together.
I wanted a winter project, but not this!!

Old 12-23-2007, 10:39 PM
Mr Blazer LT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: I blew up my motor

Sucks. You got that from Ebay recently, right?

Yeah, I also have an unexpected winter project so holidays suck for me this year too. At least I have some booze.

Old 12-24-2007, 03:36 AM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear that man!! Well if you were planning a v8 swap, which i see you were now's as good a time as any, just sucks under the conditions you have to!!!

Old 12-24-2007, 09:54 AM

Yeah I got it off of ebay a few months ago. The motor was supposed to have only 70k on it when I got it. Oh well,nothing I can do about it now.
I have been considering a 350 swap, just not quite this soon.
Thank god for extra cars. I still have two cars ,the Avalon for my wife and the Summit for me. It will get me through the winter till I get this truck done. I found a '89 350 on ebay for $200 I think I might get.

Old 12-24-2007, 09:58 AM
RCars2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Bummer. I guess as they say s*** happens. Hopefully you can swap out the engine fairly easily to the 350 and then you'll have a rocket of a blazer. Keep us posted on what ya find out and what ya end up doing in the end.

Old 12-24-2007, 10:09 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Really sorry to hear about that, Bill. Were there any indications something was wrong (knocking sound, vibration, weird oil pressure, etc)? I hope it doesn't mess with your Christmas too badly.

Old 12-24-2007, 12:09 PM
willjones is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats rough, but at least you have a plan of what you are going to do instead of just sitting on it.

Old 12-24-2007, 01:39 PM
blznlowxtreme is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: RCars2

Bummer. I guess as they say s*** happens.
if it wasn't for that quote i would have went crazy long time ago sorry to hear about your motor hopefully you will be back up pretty soon

Old 12-24-2007, 03:19 PM
quinnman105 is an unknown quantity at this point

Damn bro. Sorry to hear that.

Old 12-27-2007, 06:52 PM

There were no indications at all. I was just driving down the road. I had taken my subs out so I had more room, so I could actually hear if there were any noises. It was just fine until I heard the knocking noise. Then I pulled over, shut it offand popped the hood and looked under it.

I finally got a chance to get under it and pull the skid plates off and take a look at the oil pan. There is a major whole in it, right above the transfer case output shaft. Here is a picture.

I have already started to pull everything off the motor so I can pull it. I will probably get it pulled on Sunday (my next day off). I will be buying a 350 for $100 that is running, all it needs is a rod bearing. I will tear it apart when I get it and send the crank in to get machined and get a rebuild kit from work and be done with it. Over the summer, when I have some money, I will probably throw a decent cam in it.

Oh, I'm going carburated for anybody that wants to know. I will take plenty of pictures of the process. It might not get done for a few months, since Christmas kindof drained the bank.

[IMG]local://upfiles/7885/1C73F8DA86F540B18A8A984F87B9DE5B.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: I blew up my motor