Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

I got the Blazer back. If I can get the IAT to stay on I should be golden. Astro....

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2020, 07:46 AM
93S10TahoeLT is on a distinguished road
Question I got the Blazer back. If I can get the IAT to stay on I should be golden. Astro....

Good morning, everyone. Got the Blazer back last night. Runs WELL!!!
... Then, I hit a pothole, and it stalled.
Had to go to work, so.. Came back in the morning.

Upon closer inspection, the intake where it meets the butterfly valve.. I need to figure how to make it stay on. The 96 Blazer presently seems to have a different intake on it ?? I should post pics. But not sure there is the spot sticking up for the wing nut that was previously on there, holding it in.

If I can get it to SECURELY stay, the engine should run well.
If it is loose, it will stall and surge at idle.

Ways to mount it TIGHT?

Old 03-28-2020, 08:54 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

Are we talking that engine swap from an ASTRO van into your Blazer?

Then we definitively need pictures to get an idea.

Old 03-28-2020, 09:27 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It is possible that the air cleaner adapter (commonly referred to as the 'hat') is not properly seated under the front flange on the throttle body before it is tilted over the fastener at the rear. Simple enough to check for as you should not be able to lift up on the front of the hat with it properly seated. If you can lift it with the fastener in place at the rear, then you need to check to see that the metal bracket is still attached to the underside of the hat. If it is no longer there, you will need to get a replacement (junkyard, eBay, etc) that still has the metal bracket on the front part and a good hole in the rear for the fastener (picture below showing what should be there). If it is still there, but bent out of shape, you can attempt to get it bent back into shape such that it goes under the lip of the flange on the front face of the throttle body as intended.

96+ Air Cleaner to Throttle Body Adapter (a.k.a. the 'Hat')

Or are you saying that you don't even have the stud for the wingnut at the back of the throttle body? If you don't have that, I'd question a whole lot more about the work previously performed... You don't have a unicorn, you are simply missing parts that should have noticed, procured, and installed before sending the truck out the door as "repaired". Rather than attempting to recreate the wheel and rig it back together with bubblegum & duct tape, why not simply try to get it back to stock which only takes a trip to a junkyard and a bit of effort on your part.

Old 03-28-2020, 11:59 AM

Hello, folks.. I have had a VERY busy morning, and I literally just now got to open up the thread to begin the reply at 12:55PM Eastern Standard Time.

The short, TL;DR version: The "long screw for the wingnuts is missing.... so.. what kind of thread and length that is, where do I get it? Does it thread in to the piece at the bottom, then the wing nut goes on it? Kit?

The longer version: Glad I got to look at it. Pics, so you can see what I see: (next post)

Some kid drove into my car last night too, so, look for pics and questions on "how to pop out a large door dent" right after this one. Thankfully, it is contained to one door. Pics of that too... in another thread... Okay, getting to posting.

I'm thinking it will run 100% perfect with the air housing secured TIGHTLY (with the screw.) Based on what you see.. Do I need a new one, and that bolt/wingnut. Where do I get!?

Pics. First time seeing my truck in daylight since I got it back. See what I see:

Name:  pFFIfL9.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  1,015.4 KB

Name:  iM6Ns8n.jpg
Size:  680.0 KB

Name:  hnNzW0t.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  845.7 KB

Name:  FyelQWT.jpg
Size:  917.7 KB

Name:  kgbIYlJ.jpg
Size:  677.4 KB

Name:  eZnFXvj.jpg
Size:  907.9 KB

Okay, those are probably the relevant ones. The Astro engine swap (from a 98) seems to have the dipstick in a slightly cluttered location, and I am not sure that the dipstick goes all the way in. I wonder if that is a big deal. So here is the brand new to me engine in the Blazer bay .

Name:  eJvDozW.jpg
Size:  928.4 KB

Name:  14ZqR5V.jpg
Size:  401.3 KB

Name:  KDAfV9n.jpg
Size:  1.05 MB

Name:  HqoUhnj.jpg
Size:  2.21 MB

My cruise control also seemed to not work now. It did before. Separate thread on that, too.

Old 03-28-2020, 12:14 PM

**side note: Apparently, the yard in question sold me the engine from a 1998 Blazer, the nearest Grade A part with comparable low miles in the local area, been burned with EBay whole engines, yes..... and then proceeded to deliver to shop engine from an Astro van, which was discovered when it was time to drop it in. That is my understanding of how it went down. I also had to add a lot of coolant.

I will now be looking for hats and that wingnut, if it is a specific size or also on EBay or.. I found out pretty amazingly how that one thing can make the whole engine not run right. Wants to surge and die at lights, etc. And that seems to be why...

Old 03-28-2020, 12:34 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Can you go back to the shop and get the missing parts from your old engine?

Old 03-28-2020, 12:37 PM
BF Veteran
DonL will become famous soon enough

So I was raking a closer look at you intake "hat". It looks like it's missing the metal clip that sits on that groove, if you look at the pic that swartlkk posted, you can see it riveted.

Old 03-28-2020, 12:44 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by DonL
So I was raking a closer look at you intake "hat". It looks like it's missing the metal clip that sits on that groove, if you look at the pic that swartlkk posted, you can see it riveted.
Good catch. Looks like you're right.

I assume it was all there before they replaced the engine?

Old 03-28-2020, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Tom A
Can you go back to the shop and get the missing parts from your old engine?
The old engine is still there, yes.

You mean pieces like EGR, etc?

What "missing part" do you see.. oh you mean the screw for the nut!? .. Good idea.

Old 03-28-2020, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Tom A
Good catch. Looks like you're right.

I assume it was all there before they replaced the engine?
Honestly, I do not remember that lip ever being on it. I think I see where it is supposed to be.

Would a new "hat" come with a new stud and wingnut? (Sorry for the elementary questions, but i never did put two and two together that my engine ran perfectly before I ever touched that screw and removed "the hat," thank you for making me aware of that term... and has stalled and surged intermittently ever since I put it back on.)

This hat really is the key to seamless smooth engine operation, isnt it.

Quick Reply: I got the Blazer back. If I can get the IAT to stay on I should be golden. Astro....