Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

I have big problems!!! Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 12:59 PM
12 pointer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I have big problems!!! Help

First I would like to say thanks for this forum and all the knowledge I know I will find.

I have a 1996 2 wheel drive blazer with the 4.3 H.O.

I have a problem....Two weeks ago, I was loosing coolant and found it was going into my oil pan. I had a blown intake gasket. Had a new high dollar gasket kit put on by the local shop due to the fact I had no time to do it myself and the wife needed her ride for work. The mechanis told he he would probably have to pull the engine to get the oil pan off so he flushed it good and changed the oil twice. Yesterday, it's now has what I think is a rod bearing slipped. slight pecking. actually fluctuates with acceleration. you can tell there is a "Slack" point in there. Here is my question???? Do you have to pull te engine on these to get the oil pan off???? And could I get away with just a set of rod bearings???? has 170.000 miles on it. 40.000 on a factory tranny. thanks for the help. oh, whats a set of bearings cost??? Sorry so long, I am in need of you guys experience.

Mike

Old 10-08-2008, 01:12 PM
2002XTREME is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: I have big problems!!! Help

Honestly, I wouldnt bother with just the bearings, ive seen that done personally and it just doesnt hold up with other wear in the engine, How about a rebuilt engine?? with that much mileage i`m sure theres sumtin else worn out or starting to wear out..Does that mechanic you took it to give a warranty for their work, just incase its sumthing that they did wrong???

Old 10-08-2008, 01:17 PM

Yes, they warrenty their work but that was my call on pulling the engine or not so they are not to blame. Wife is going to go buy s new vehicle today that is much better on fuel mileage. I was just gonna, if possible thow a set of bearings in and or maybe a new crank and bearing and use tis for a work vehicle. It's a strong running blazer. My diesel is kinlling me on fuel mileage. Wonderr if he was pulling my leg about pulling th motor.?????

Old 10-08-2008, 01:20 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

There is very little room between the front frame cross member and the oil pan, prohibiting the pan from being able to be pulled with the engine installed unless you can jack the engine up enough (careful to not break off the distributor on the firewall).

IMO if you are already pulling the motor, you should do a full rebuild, heads and all.

Old 10-08-2008, 01:23 PM
2002XTREME is an unknown quantity at this point

are there any scratches on the oil pan showing that they hd a blast trying to get it out???? and does it look like the motor mount bolts were touched?if none of that i would say they got sum extra dough from ya.. and went home and made cookies..

Old 10-08-2008, 04:56 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

With 170k I would go with a full rebuild. If the blocks fine and this is the first engine issue youve had, I don't see why you wouldnt just rebuild like kyle suggested. I'd be pumped to make it to 170 though

Old 10-13-2008, 03:04 PM
trenton is an unknown quantity at this point

hello i have gas shooting out on top of my motor i have a 2001 extrem the gas is coming from behind the thruttel body what could that be

Old 10-13-2008, 04:15 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Either the fuel lines blew out of the spider or the pressure test port has failed. But please do create your own thread on your problem. It is not proper to pull a thread off topic.

Old 10-13-2008, 06:00 PM
Banned
Duntov is an unknown quantity at this point

Water in the oil will not cause a bearing to spin.And you do not need to flush the engine to get the water out but you do need to find the source of the water and fix it. First you must fix the source of the water and then one oil change is all that needed. The oil pan certainly does not need to be removed.

If you have indeedspun-out a rod bearing which is likelyjust coincindental to the water in the oil, the spun bearingmay havedamagedthe crankshaft journal. If the crank is bad, the enginewould have to come out anyway so then is a good opportunity to do a general rebuild to your engine orthe installation of arebuilt engine.A rebuiltproductionengine will cost about $1000 less $200 for your engineand from $1700 to $2300 for the labor.Labor cost is usually a minimum of $65 per hour at an independent garage and$90 per hour at a dealership.Whoever does the work will want to furnish the engine and it would likely cost $1200 with their parts profitadded.If whoever does the workdoesnot furnish the engine, they are off-the-hook because there will be no warranty. Most of the time a shop will not install part that you furnish. The cheapest although a little more risky is find someone who lives in yourarea on Craig's List and pay them $30 to $40 per hourto replace the engine and parts that you furnish.

Obviously, it is always the labor cost that is the most espense.I woulddo thatwork myself becausethe pay is damned good!

Old 02-15-2009, 08:22 PM

Well, I debated on this for quite some time and have done nothing with this as of yet. I will, weather permitted. Begin to pull this engine next weekend.