Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Idle and acceleration problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 01:25 PM
emanpimpster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Idle and acceleration problems

My dad's got a 91 4x4 s10 blazer with a 6cyl thats just sitting around. Id really like to get it running reliably so it can be driven back and forth to school (130 miles). Its been in and out of the shop for months. It runs well and everything works pretty good its still a sweet truck. Problem is sometimes when you accelerate hard it will sometimes kind of miss and jerk a little bit. Also, the biggest issue, is sometimes when you're stopped at a light the truck will die. Ive changed the oil and its not milky or anything. It's still a pretty decent truck. Also sometimes it has a little trouble starting. It always starts but sometimes takes a little while. What could I do to get this to fix this? BTW the engine has over 250,000 miles. A new motor isn't out of the question but were trying to keep this as cheap as possible. Maintenance has been done religiously. Thank you for your opinions, I really want to get this thing running well. Eric

Old 11-12-2008, 01:44 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Idle and acceleration problems

If you were worried about the health of the motor, a quick compression test will tell you if it is still healthy or if it should be replaced.

About your idle problem... The TBI motors did have problems with the throttle body base gasket leaking which could cause a stalling problem. Most often though, this caused a high idle issue. It all depends on if the throttle stop was adjusted to account for the high idle.

A faulty or partially clogged EGR valve could also produce the symptoms you have listed.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:53 PM

Where can you get parts for blazers online? Ive been looking and it doesnt seem like theres much out there. Including offroad stuff.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:55 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

What parts are you looking for? There are quite a few different sources. LMCTruck.com sells restoration parts. SummitRacing.com & Jegs.com have some aftermarket stuff. Autozone, Advanced Auto, etc carry parts... SynergyOffroad.com has offroad parts (although I do not know what they have for 1st gens).

Old 11-12-2008, 02:02 PM

I think the bushing in the spare tire needs to be replaced because its squeaks like crazy. I also am looking for some new headlight (originals are clouded up) and possibly a brush guard with lights.