Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Idles rough with a knock...

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 01:11 AM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Idles rough with a knock...

yea the miracle in a bottle thing i stay away from but when the stuff works i push it to people to try for themselves and let me know if it worked for them or not.Your idea is perfect which i need to try on mine it has 121,000 on it now and i think it might need it to clean it out but question on the sea foam do you have to do an oil change after you use it?

Old 10-22-2007, 04:33 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

So far as I know, it's never been done... I've owned the Blazer for about 13,000km (8000 miles)... I suppose it could be due for a top end clean after 62,000km's (38500 miles) lol.

I usually use GM Top Cleaner when I do that... I have yet to find Seafoam in my city... I'll keep an eye out for it, though...

And thegr81, you don't have to change the oil afterwards at all, It just makes more sense for me to do that afterwards, as the oil will flow nice and free after having the **** driven out of it, lol.

I when I did it on my old Z34, I smoked out the entire block when that sucker started back up, lol... It was much easier to do on the S10, though... a vertical pointing throttle body is so much nicer...

Actually, after figuring out the trick for the 3rd plug, if it kills the plugs, I'm not overly worried...

I guess even hard driven vehicles get carbon build up, lol

Thanks for the reminder about that! I'd completely forgotten about the top cleaner part...

Old 10-22-2007, 05:00 AM
BF Veteran

not a problem just wanted to help anyway possible sometimes it helps to back another forum person's thoughts and recomondations up if you agree that helps the person taking the info and using it more than just one person's thoughts

Old 10-22-2007, 06:07 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

GM Top Engine Clean is a great product, but it is quite a bit more expensive than Seafoam.

The reason for the oil change after a top engine clean is the possibility of the cleaner washing down past the rings. It is just safer to do a top engine clean right before you do an oil change to reduce the likely hood of problems with the oil.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:26 AM
BF Veteran

cool i never done that before so i just wanted all the info thanks kyle appreciate it i will do it the next time i do a oil change in 2500 miles i just did one so im going to wait thanks again

Old 10-22-2007, 10:22 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

The GM Top Clean usually costs me like $8... Seafoam must be dirt cheap!

Old 10-22-2007, 10:29 AM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

ive never seen gm top cleaner but around here, a can of seafoam is about $6.50

Old 10-22-2007, 10:38 AM
BF Veteran

Chances are, you'll only see it if you go to the dealership and ask for it...

Edit: For now, I've decided to stick with the stock air box, since I do a lot of mudding and such, I figure the CAI would get too fouled up to be that much of a benefit... So I'm getting an AEM DryFlow panel filter! yay me! lol

Old 10-22-2007, 10:39 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, GM top engine clean is a dealer item. Last time I bought Seafoam it was $4.50 at the local Napa store.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:55 AM
BF Veteran

Hmmmm... Maybe I'll swing by Napa... I think we have one somewhere in one of the industrial areas... Just gotta find it...

Quick Reply: Idles rough with a knock...