Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Idles rough with a knock...

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 11:00 AM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future
Default RE: Idles rough with a knock...

i really wanted the AEM cai. i dont know if you have seen it but they havea thing you can dowload off of their website, its the test results from an independent research group.they tested4 of theleading air filter companies and thedryflow outperformed all of them.however i got my K&N for about $70 less than the AEM... i might eventually try to get a dryflow filter on my K&N however the filter that i have is 5" long while the dryflow filter on the blazer cai is 9" long

Old 10-22-2007, 11:07 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

DryFlow rocks... No oiling! lol

Not sure what the cleaning process is on the K&N, but the AEM just needs a couple bottles of cleaning stuff and a 5 gallon or so pail of water...

Old 10-22-2007, 11:37 AM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

K&N's are the same deal. I wash and oil mine about once a year.

I just got my fuel system cleaned, and then I went out yesterday to "drive it like I stole it" and I think I mighta fudged my tranny []

I'm crossing my fingers tho......I've never felt a tranny slip before, so I hope my truck was just trippin out. from 1st to 2nd a couple times it seemed like the rpm dropped right when it tryed to shift.

but dr.perry I was happy with what Mr.lube does in their cleaning service.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:51 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

ORIGINAL: blazinloud

but dr.perry I was happy with what Mr.lube does in their cleaning service.

But but but but! It's fun smoking out the block!

edit:

Here's what it sounds like, at any rate... Click Here

Old 10-23-2007, 08:07 PM
BF Veteran

Update:

Well, the seafoam didn't change anything... gonna try to do an oil change after work, or if I'm to tired, tomorrow afternoon when I wake up...

Old 10-26-2007, 10:15 PM
Starting Member
Swain is an unknown quantity at this point

You've probably already checked this but it isn't your PCV valve clapping together is it? Mine did that once and I shook it a bit and it stopped.

Old 11-17-2007, 07:41 AM
BF Veteran

It's not the PCV valve... The noise is too "deep" for that... and you can hear it clearest when you stick your head by the front wheels...

I'm definitely checking out my distributor and cap + rotor tomorrow... or maybe I should just replace them on principle... I'll probably do that, depending on prices... might take a couple days extra, lol.

Because if it's not that, then I just might have a coolant leak into the engine...

I'll also pull a plug and see what she looks like, and load up a pic here, and see what the experts have to say..

I'm really leaning towards distributor cap + rotor, because that's such an easy fix, and don't want to do any gaskets, lol...

But as I said in the first post... the problem was gone for a few days after I changed the plugs, would that make the dist. a more likely culprit?

Old 11-17-2007, 08:06 AM
igot10pinitis is an unknown quantity at this point

i don't think plugs or rotor will help. It sounds like a lifter tapping, or something internal.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:07 PM
BF Veteran

Side note... Did a random scan of the trouble codes... No SES light, but there was a low voltage MAF or whatever it is... P0102 or something like that... Hopefully it's a leftover from when I did the seafoam treatment, as I didn't clear the codes, lol...

Old 11-20-2007, 12:16 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

any contamination or debris on the sensing elements of the MAF sensor will set a code P0102

Quick Reply: Idles rough with a knock...