Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Immediate help needed, please! '98 4l60e trans

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 08:31 PM
Beginning Member
rviolette84 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Immediate help needed, please! '98 4l60e trans

I'm beyond begging for someone to please give me even a clue about what's going on here. The other day I posted a thread about my torque converter slipping in overdrive. After much insight about changing the tcc solenoid, I punched out early today at work, got it up in the air and changed the solenoid. On top of changing the solenoid, I also replaced the tranny filter, and whatever fluid drained out from removal of the pan. Now, since the replacement, my issue is ten times worse! From a dead stop my transmission slips (or converter if it's that) and it takes me until I get beyond 15-20mph to get tranny traction of noticeable thrust. My old solenoid was (to the best of my knowledge) the culprit for my overdrive slippage. Now with a brand new tcc solenoid, I can't even barely take off from a dead stop?! Please refer to my previous post if you're curious as to exactly what the problem was originally. I'm completely stumped and very frustrated that, at least before I was able to drive normally except for a slip in overdrive under light accel, but now something is slipping from stopped. Please, if you have any help on this I will be eternally grateful! I'm so nervous about this, as the Blazer is my only vehicle. Thanks everyone

Old 12-21-2012, 08:33 PM
Beginning Member

Sorry for the lack of details btw. 98 Chevy Blazer LS. 160K

Old 12-21-2012, 09:28 PM
KOETTINGSINC is on a distinguished road

when you removed the pan was there anything like metal or fiber in the bottom of the pan or in the fluid? It is not uncommon to change the trans fluid on an old transmission and the shifting problems get worse. Also not sure if there is a trans computer on this years but could be in limp mode. Need more info

Old 12-21-2012, 09:32 PM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road

The torque converter transfers thrust produced by the engine to the transmission.
If it is bad your vehicle wont move.Does the reverse work?
Ealier in your post you said that you drained whatever fluid it had left in the trans are you saying that the trans was almost or close to being out of fluid?If so your transmission worst case is probaly toast.
Also your tans has 2 cylinoids one for 1st and the other for 2cnd.

Last edited by 1sttimejimmyowner; 12-21-2012 at 09:36 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:41 PM
Beginning Member

Yes, reverse seems to be the only gear that responded and functioned like normal. What I meant concerning the fluid was that I didn't do a flush, I only drained whatever was in the pan. It wasn't out of fluid prior. I saw the other solenoids while I had the pan off, but only changed the tcc solenoid due to so many fingers pointing to it on the forum. I just did some more research in the past hour saying that the symptoms I'm experiencing are from the valve body bore being spent and having to do a kit from "Whatever it takes" transmission parts. I don't have a ton of time or cash to play the process of elimination game and really just desperately need a solution. Thanks for your time, guys

Old 12-21-2012, 11:00 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

any metal in the fluid? also how was the color of it?

Old 12-22-2012, 09:13 AM
Beginning Member

Very light amount of metal in the fluid and the color wasn't too disturbing.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:32 AM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road
Smile

So other than the 1 symptom of overdrive slipping was the trans shifting well before this all started?Was there any check engine lights that were on?I ask this cause I beleive the TPS is tied into how your trans works or doesnt?Other than that I wish I could offer more advice on what to do but Im stumped.

Old 12-23-2012, 12:09 PM
Beginning Member

I replaced the pwm solenoid yesterday in addition to already having changed the tcc solenoid. Before doing anything on Friday night, the trans shifted fine. The only issue I was having was a slip in overdrive. Now since replacing these 2 solenoids the trans slips from takeoff. I'm completely confused how installing new components have worsened the problem. I wish I at least had what I had before Friday night.