Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Impossible or not???

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 01:18 PM
jman_08 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Impossible or not???

for a 2003 blazer is there anyway to swap a control-trac transfer case that ford uses into a blazer and make it work??? I like the control-trac because its a full time system in auto mode and it splits the torque depending on the slip.

Auto-trac i would like but nobody seems to know how auto-trac works and if it splits the torque or not i was told it does and then told it doesnt so if someone would clear it up i believe auto-trac would be an easier swap but control trac would need A GEM module setup if im correct??

Thanks.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:44 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Impossible or not???

You would have a fun time regardless of what you decided to do.

The original autotrac transfer cases were a dedicated split (some where around 30/70 F/R IIRC). The ones used in the 98+ trucks could split torque from 100% rear to up to 70% front (I am working from memory here and cannot find confirmation).

Now back to the "fun time"... You have to get everything to get along in your truck. That is going to be very difficult as there were no Stabilitrac S-series vehicles past 2001. Starting in 2002, the Bravada moved over to the GMT360 platform. Also starting somewhere in mid-02 was a change in the control systems on the s-series trucks. I do not know if you can mix and match components.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:16 PM

I could do a swap with an Autotrac transfer case from a 2002 Suburban are they the same thing the way they split the torque??? Even though its a bigger truck i know the driveshaft would have to be modified though.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:18 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

They are larger transfer cases in the fullsize lineup. You could use one of the NVG136 transfer cases out of a 98+ Bravada or AWD Blazer (not many of those), but what I am getting at is the control aspect of things. I am not sure how well things will work out for you.

You may be able to look up TCCM part numbers and see if they changed from the 98 thru mid-02 and the mid-02 thru 05 (or whenever they stopped production). I do not have access to the wiring schematics for your year, but I could get them for the 98 thru mid-2002. I am just speculating that due to the change in the PCM and associated control systems, there is likely to be a change in the TCCM. Maybe they did not change.

What do you have for a 4wd system now?

*EDIT* - Just came across THIS LINK in a quick search. If for nothing more than telling you what transfer case was used where. I do not know when that information was written, but I do know that the 98+ Bravada with RPO code NP4 used the NVG136 transfer case, not the NVG126.

Also found the PN for the TCCM used on a NVG236 transfer case > updated to PN 12577412 (old PN 15748800) and this should work for all NVG236 transfer cases so it seems you may be in luck provided that the NVG 136 TCCM is not all that much different wiring wise.

The Rockland Standard Gear website looks to have a lot of information on it as well.

Old 11-20-2008, 03:10 PM

I have read a lot of information i believe i have figured it out why Fords BORG Warner transfer case splits the power and adds more as needed just like an Awd system and why auto-trac doesnt.

With the ford GEM module it usually a clutch inside to transfer power to the front VIA A GEM computer in auto Mode it sends little pules of power which drive the clutch for example the first pulse gives it about 30/95 split second pulse 70/30 and so on.

Auto-trac doesnt do this and doesnt pulse the clutch exactly like this but i assume if it did pulse the clutch like the other transfer case it would work just like an full-time system.

Am i correct swartt???