Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

intake manifold gasket leaking

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 07:58 AM
Starting Member
Lawayne is on a distinguished road
Default intake manifold gasket leaking

I have a 1997 blazer s-10 with the usual 4.3 litter v6 that has a intake gasket leak. It is leaking on the drivers side under the air condition compressor. How hard would it be to replace it for someone who is somewhat mechanically inclined. My cousin is going to help and he is a fairly good shade tree mechanic. Also, what is the best way to remember how to put it all back together and keep all the bolts, nuts, etc. catagorized and seperated so we know right where to put them back? I really need some good advice on this one. I printed off a 35 page manual on how to change it out, but you can never, ever be too careful. Especially when you have to take the distributer cap off and virtually the whole top of the motor. Any advice and help on this subject will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Lawayne (SCREWED IN MISSISSIPPI)

Old 08-27-2010, 08:37 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

A quick search would turn up a link to a rather comprehensive article on replacing the LIM gaskets. The article is from D-tips.com.

Old 08-28-2010, 01:37 PM
dfowler03 is on a distinguished road

I just replaced my leaking intake manifold gasket about a week ago. A bit of advice, spring for the metal gasket. The plastic gaskets that come stock, and the replacement plastic gaskets, from what im told, usually only last around 60,000 miles. The metal gasket cost me about 80 bucks (it was the entire upper manifold gasket kit), but from what everyone told me, it's well worth the price.

Theres really not a whole lot of bolts you need to remove. Mark your electrical connecters, your spark plug wires. It makes it easier to put back together. When you the throttle cable/cruise control bracket comes off, but I just removed the bolts, took the bracket off, and replaced the bolts so I wouldnt lose them. The power steering pump bracket is the only real pain. Dont remove it all the way, just loosen it enough so it slides forward so the manifold can clear it. Remove the 8 manifold bolts, and you're good to go. If you dont have it already, get some RTV rated for the intake manifold. And, most importantly MARK YOUR DISTRIBUTOR BEFORE YOU TAKE IT OUT! This caused an on going headache in my life for the past week. Good luck

Old 08-28-2010, 02:50 PM
Starting Member
robertr728 is on a distinguished road

Some good advice there. I dont really see the need to mark the electrical connectors as they will only fit into there sensor and no other plug will fit. Yes i would spring for the more expensive gasket as i believe you get what you pay for and some high temp rtv never hurts unless you use way to much. Make sure you dont get a bunch of debris in the oil as this can cause lower engine troubles. And change the oil after the repair is complete in case any coolant got into the oil. If you put the timing marks on the harmonic balancer to zero and be sure the distributor rotor is pointing at the 6 then you dont need to worry about marking that either.