Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

MY problems after 4.3L intake manifold gasket replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 07:23 PM
Beginning Member
dunontme is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face MY problems after 4.3L intake manifold gasket replacement?

Last week I replaced my plugs,wires,distributer, and cap. 2 days ago when I got home from work steam was pouring out from under the hood and coming from around the throttle body. a friend came over and pressure tested my radiator and we could see and hear bubbles comming from the intake manifold gasket. so after looking on this forum I found this "how to" and replaced just like the artical says http://d-tips.com/General/Articles/a...akearticle.art .Once complete I let dry for 30 hours, did a oil change and filled it up with new coolent. Went to start it and idled a lilltle ruf at first and wanted to stall when I put it in gear, so i let it idle longer and took it for a drive around the block. There was lots of white smoke comming from the exaust for the fist 10-min I drove it around and then the smoke stopped and ran great.. half way home from work today the oil pressure gauge dropped all the way down and has stayed there since. I pulled over and checked the oil and I was right on line and I felt the oil filter and it was hot. so I finished my drive home UNTILL I Started to hear ticking from the engine and it kept getting louder. I have towed it back home and in my garage it sits. Any idea whats wrong? For some reason I have it convinced In my head that I left a rag in the engine...yes I'm serious I dont know why I think this but its my feeling

Old 11-15-2009, 07:35 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Gasket material plugging up the oil pickup screen... Rag preventing oil from flowing back down into the block... Could be a bunch of things, but if you have driven the truck with zero oil pressure indicated, your motor has likely taken damage. You should never drive the truck if the oil pressure gauge drops to zero until you can verify its accuracy with a manual gauge.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:26 AM
Brian's 58 3b is on a distinguished road

Dunontime,
What engine 92-95 Vin "w" CPFI?

Old 11-15-2009, 06:58 PM
Beginning Member

Its a 98 vin W. should i take it apart again or would this gasket material or rag been pushed into the engine to far for me to get?

Last edited by dunontme; 11-15-2009 at 11:30 PM.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:09 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You could pull the distributor and have a look down inside with a small mirror and a flash light.

If it is gasket junk that has plugged up the screen on the oil pickup, you are pretty much screwed. To pull the pan on a 4x4, you have to either pull the engine or pull the front axle.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:57 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by swartlkk
You could pull the distributor and have a look down inside with a small mirror and a flash light.

If it is gasket junk that has plugged up the screen on the oil pickup, you are pretty much screwed. To pull the pan on a 4x4, you have to either pull the engine or pull the front axle.
is that because the pans on these engine's are the cast aluminum style Kyle? 'cause i dropped the pan on my '92 Jimmy without removing the engine or dropping the front diff. it was a PITA for the bolts right above the pumpkin, but was able to swaer @ it long enough that they came out.

@ dunontme; Kyle is right about the lack of pressure and continued driving (just ask my wife).

Old 11-15-2009, 09:28 PM
Beginning Member

well I hope the couple miles i drove home wasnt too bad i wont start it again till fixed. so removing the oil pan is not going to be easy?

Old 11-15-2009, 09:56 PM
jigger is on a distinguished road

How about if he just pulls the filter only then cut it open and see what kind of crap it has caught,after all it's fresh oil and filter. But yanking the pan, filter ,or top end isn't gonna stop the knock! Could be lucky and just be a collapsed lifter and not a rod/crank. Good luck!

Old 11-15-2009, 11:30 PM
Beginning Member

thats a great idea..I got it off and draining later ill cut open and see whats in it

Old 11-15-2009, 11:46 PM
jigger is on a distinguished road

That isn't gonna be a cure but at least it might give you a good starting point. Just remember DON'T cut it with a saw because that will make metal shavings inside the two pieces. Just whack it with a screw driver or something pointed, then use snips.
Also if you have to take off the pan you might want to learn a second language cuz I'm sure you will run out of cuss words like old skool said! good luck

Quick Reply: MY problems after 4.3L intake manifold gasket replacement?