Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Intermittent bog down

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 02:43 PM
Don1188 is on a distinguished road
Default Intermittent bog down

I have a 2000 Blazer LS 4 door 4WD. I just replaced my after market fuel pump with an OME. I also have AC Delco platnum plugs with less than 5000 miles on them and they look great. New fuel filter as well as new wires with less that 5000 miles. I have checked for vacume leaks as well. I replaced the fuel pump because the AM I had was going out after 2 years. It wouldn't even prime it to start. After replacing it. The vehicle starts great and idles great. Fuel pressure is 64-66 at start. And drops off a little to normal. We cannot get it to reproduce the lack of power at idle. And no codes. But when I make a turn it bogs down and during steady driving it has intermittent bogging down. Like it is not getting enough fuel. Just a reduction in power. But if I press on the pedel a little it goes away and is fine. I have no problem with flooring it and getting enough fuel and it doesn't bog down. A friend told me to clean the MAF so I bought the CRC MAF spray cleaner and did that. The problem is still there. Another discription is when I mentiones turning a corner it bogs down. If I give it gas it picks right up but, with a jerk. Almost like when you put a boat motor in gear. A jump. Now when the fuel pump was changed I noted in the bottom of the tank was green. Like antifreeze green. The tank was empitied and wiped out. But that color is still there. But there was nothing in the tank when it was cleaned. I mean nothing came out. Just the normal well nothing. No ideas on that.
But are there any ideas about the problem I mentioned? I would appreaciate any help.
Thanks,
Don

Old 10-23-2009, 02:55 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Have you done any routine maintenance, as in cleaning your throttle body (IAC valve and throttle bore) as well as cleaning the EGR valve & MAF sensor?

Old 10-23-2009, 05:28 PM

The IAC valve and throttle bore are clean as well as the MAF sensor. Those were cleaned before I wrote the problem. Sorry for not stating that. Also it has a new rotor cap and all with again less that 5000 miles. EGR also. A friend that is a shade tree mech is helping. This is what bothers me. Even when the old pump started to go out I didn't have this problem. Only the priming problem to start it. Once it was started it ran fine. No bogging or anything. But if you went into passing gear it starved for gas. So I knew the old pump was going out. Now with the new pump I have no problem in passing gear. Only at cruising speeds at any speed and turning a corner.

Thanks

Old 10-23-2009, 07:01 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tested the coil and ICM (ignition control module)? They must be removed to test them. Most autoparts stores will have the diagnostic equipment to put them both through their paces.

Another thing that has come up more than once is a worn distributor drive gear on the bottom of the distributor. Symptoms much like what you describe have been fixed by replacing the distributor with a remanufactured unit. It is just as cost effective to replace the entire distributor rather than just the gear itself. You can check this by removing your distributor. Just mark the location of the rotor tip on the base of the distributor before pulling it up out and then mark the location of the rotor tip again after it is out. It will move as the helical gears disengage from each other.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:49 PM

No I haven't tested the coil and ICM. If I remember correctly I will have to drill those out. Because they don't have screws holding them in more like a rivet. They are orignal. But thats not a big deal to do. And not a very expensive parts either. And I found a new distributor the whole part from $89-$250. I will have to check on the price of remanufactured units. Just in case thats what it is. I'll have the coil and ICM tested first. And I'll let you know.
Thank you again.

Old 10-24-2009, 07:15 AM
Administrator

Don't drill anything out just yet. Rather unbolt the bracket from the LIM.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:27 AM

Well the coil checked out alright. I am still waiting for the friend who was helping me. He had a family death. I'm not great at this and he knows more than I do for sure. When he gets back he said he will help me check out the worn distributor drive gear. I'm just not confident enough to try that yet.