Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

knightmare Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 04:06 PM
Beginning Member
Magnetic is on a distinguished road
Default knightmare Blazer

i bought a blazer to fix and use as my daily driver and ithad a fuel pump isue finally got that replaced after setting the car eon fire 1st that is now car turns on with teh new fuel pump i put water in the radiator and it leaks through the motor soem seals or something turns on makes no sounds. sounds like a perfect suv doesn tmake any ticks or nothing but now i have a water leak on the bottom of the motor what can they be mechanic says its the camshaft seals they are round and look like lids any sugestions?

Old 06-01-2012, 07:26 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Camshaft seals? That sounds more like it would be an oil seal as opposed to anything doing with coolant. Can you actually see where the water is coming from? I had the water pump go bad on mine. Coolant would pour out from behind the pulley when I added to the radiator. Had the same thing happen on my '73 Chevelle one day.

Old 06-02-2012, 01:33 PM
Beginning Member
cucv30 is on a distinguished road

it sounds like you are referring to the soft plugs. Yeah they can rust out and leak.

Old 06-02-2012, 05:28 PM
davisb is on a distinguished road

Some people call them freeze plugs, expansion plugs, frost plugs.

Old 06-02-2012, 07:08 PM
Starting Member
DimeBlazr is on a distinguished road

Just wondering if this was a professional mechanic or what? There are no camshaft seals on this engine, the only type of seal having to do with camshaft is on the back of the engine covered by the transmission bellhousing, if this even was leaking it would be an oil leak not water. Lost without any more detailed info? What year is it by the way?

Old 06-02-2012, 09:09 PM
Beginning Member
Striker911 is on a distinguished road

Thats nothing magnetic. My wifes buick drove by an old lady with 79k miles on it. First year I put a
Starter
Alt
Water pump
Intake gasket
Shocks/struts
Half shafts
Rotors/breaks/hoses
Freeze plugs
2 tires when the other two where new (nails)
Battery
motor/trans mounts
I know I am forgetting stuff.
Now I am at a loss why it goes into limp mode on a hot day with the ac on. No lights ever come on. Thats a nightmare IMHO.

Old 06-03-2012, 12:28 PM
Beginning Member

i got told its a freeze plug at the parts store its a 99 blazer 6 cyl 4x4 and striker you think thats bad i bought an 02 chevy malibu test drover had a ase certified mechanic check it and 2 days later the engine over heats and coem to find out the guy had sold it to me with an overheated engine how did the mechanic miss it who knows and to top it all off the guy who sold it to me had it for less than 2 days he bought it like that from previous owner so i pretty much got scammed and to top it off i paid the mechanic to replace the heads and bamm scammed again 3200 for the car and 1700 i gave mechanic whonever fixed the car sold it for 800 dollars took a big lose

Old 06-03-2012, 04:25 PM
Beginning Member

Dang. I got one of them in the back yard now. Needed a head gasket. Pulled the head and took it over an hour to the shop everyone recommended to get decked. They talked me into a checking for cracks and cleaning for $40 more on top of the $100 to deck. On the way my aunts windshield took a rock. $60 to fix that. Bought new head bolts and all the gaskets. Went on another 3 hour trip to pick it up.

Started hand tightening the head down when it dawned on me to check the valves for leaks. 9 valves leaked. So I bought 9 valves went to lap them in. Wont lap in even with the drill and rubber hose method and hours of lapping per valve. Why would the 1st shop not have checked the valves? Not sure. Its like putting a clutch in and not changing the rear main seal. Retarded.

So I sent it to orileys shop cause they are over 2 hours each way and it rides on the delivery truck for free. They wanted over $600 for the work. I can get a good used one for $350. So now it sits. No money. No parts. Its scrap yard bound in the near future and I hope to break even but I doubt it. On top of that its the newest car I have ever owned. 03 Elantra. I had an offer for $1,200 back when the head was in the shop. Now I cant sell it for $500. Kick me in the head.

Last edited by Striker911; 06-03-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:57 AM
Beginning Member

wow, well blazer aint leaking no more that freeze plug fixed the problem test drove it all transmission seems to be good just neeed to take it to check it for codes check engine light is on shouldnt be much anymore

Old 06-04-2012, 10:53 AM
Beginning Member

Ya I am lucky I only have a $100 in it. I should have scraped it when i first got it. Oh well. Reverse savings account. It takes interest.

Glad you got the freeze plug changed out. They are not hard unless they are on a buick 3.8. GM wanted to pull the motor on ours. So I took a long extension and beat the old one in the block with a hammer. Then put the expansion type in. So far its worked great and its been about 4k miles with no leaks.