Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Leaking fuel lines, no idea how to disconnect

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 04:41 PM
Beginning Member
JoshyB is on a distinguished road
Default Leaking fuel lines, no idea how to disconnect

This is, amazingly, the first time I've dealt with any fuel pump issues. 2000 Blazer, 2 door. Noticed a fuel smell inside the cabin that would come and go. Eventually it stuck around and I noticed a slow drip dead center on the bottom of the tank. So I dropped the tank...well, I attempted to drop it. I unscrewed the fill tube through the gas cap area, took off the plastic guard underneath the vehicle, and removed the two brackets holding the tank. The tank came down enough to see the top and locate the leak, but it seems like the lines need to be disconnected before the tank will come down any more.

Viewing the tank from the passenger side, the line farthest away (closest to the 'fill side' of the tank) is the one leaking and also the one that I can not seem to disconnect. The other 2 look like a simple squeeze and pull type connector. The one that has me confused is bigger, yellow, and the hose comes off at a 90° angle. It's very difficult to see anything under there, and I felt around but couldn't come up with anything of value.

I've searched the internet, searched this site, and can't find any specific information on this issue. I'm not the best mechanic but I've done a few jobs that seemed complicated like replacing a clutch/master cylinder/slave cylinder (90 Ford ranger), intake manifold gaskets (2000 blazer), water pumps on various vehicles...all successfully thanks to Google, YouTube, and forums like this one. Thought this would be a straight forward process but clearly I'm missing something simple.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Old 01-15-2018, 12:20 PM
Starting Member
2004 Blazer is on a distinguished road

I am not familiar with that model. Maybe this will help you figure it out. https://www.linestogo.com/blazer-fue...-fl443-b1-set/

Old 01-20-2018, 02:06 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Can you stick your phone up there and take a picture of it?

Old 01-23-2018, 01:07 PM
Beginning Member

I managed to get the line disconnected, I was working in the dark and didn't notice there was just a clip on the connector. Ridiculous. Now I'm having a hard time finding a replacement, I have found 2 potential parts but can't tell which one is the right piece. The local dealership was of absolutely no help in this matter

More Information for ACDELCO 15109085
More Information for ACDELCO 15109091
Both say they are for a 4 door model, but there aren't any other options that I can see. Any ideas?

Last edited by JoshyB; 01-23-2018 at 01:09 PM. Reason: fixed links
Old 01-23-2018, 01:11 PM
Beginning Member

Old 01-23-2018, 01:42 PM
BF Veteran

The lines are two different diameters. That looks like the larger one, which would be the second link in your previous post.

Old 01-27-2018, 09:54 PM
Beginning Member

So I decided to try my hand at rigging up a solution to this leaky line issue and got some 3/8" fuel line and some stainless clamps. $70 for a plastic line seemed ridiculous. This stopped the leak and all seemed fine...I fired up the truck, it ran fine, no leaks, everything was great. Then I shut the truck off, bolted up the fuel tank (I left the tank down for the first test start for ease of observation), and now the truck just turns over and will not start. I can hear the fuel pump cycling when I turn the key on, I checked the little pressure valve thing on the fuel line going into the intake manifold area, when I pressed the center fuel dripped out. I am now completely confused as my expertise basically ends at "That looks broken, I can replace it" type work.

Any ideas?

And thanks to those who have given info on the previous issue!

Old 01-27-2018, 10:10 PM
BF Veteran

I have no idea why it won't start, but 70 bucks for a fuel line won't seem so ridiculous when your "fix" fails and sprays gasoline all over your hot exhaust system at 60psi.

I hate to be "that guy", but you shouldn't drive it like that. It's dangerous. Google the part number of the fuel line and you can probably find it way cheaper, but do it right.

Old 01-28-2018, 06:22 AM
Starting Member
oldeerslayer is an unknown quantity at this point

You need to attach a fuel pressure gauge to "the little pressure valve thing on the fuel line going into the intake manifold area". It should read 60 PSI with the key on engine off (KOEO). Then hold at least 50 PSI for 10 minutes with the key off. Autozone and others "loan" the gauges. Sounds like you may have loosened or damaged the pressure line when re-installing the tank.
Have you checked for leaks since putting the tank back up.
Don't pull it into a garage when not there with it or park it close to the house.

Old 01-28-2018, 09:01 AM
chevyriders is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Tom A
I have no idea why it won't start, but 70 bucks for a fuel line won't seem so ridiculous when your "fix" fails and sprays gasoline all over your hot exhaust system at 60psi.

I hate to be "that guy", but you shouldn't drive it like that. It's dangerous. Google the part number of the fuel line and you can probably find it way cheaper, but do it right.

This. Regular fuel line is only rated to a MAX of 60 psi(sometimes as low as 40) your pump puts out higher pressure than this.

You can get fuel injection hose (I think Napa has some rated up to 220psi) which would work with your fuel system. But if you're clamping to that plastic hose, odds are it'll crush or pop off in short time a anyhow.

Quick Reply: Leaking fuel lines, no idea how to disconnect