Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Learned a valuable lesson this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2023, 05:01 PM
Beginning Member
Alaskantrailblazer is on a distinguished road
Default Learned a valuable lesson this weekend

A few weeks ago I changed the oil in the ole blazer and I used a fram oil filter and supertech oil. My oil pressure was all over the map and even read zero psi at one point. I changed the sensor under the distributor which isn’t to hard to change with the distributor left in place and I have huge bear paws for hands! After a quick test drive the oil pressure was worse. No psi at idle but yet no knocking or rattling. I did another fresh oil change with a wix filter and oriellys 5w30 along with Lucas oil stabilizer. The oil pressure was the same. Zero to maybe 10 psi at 55 mph. I swapped out the oil pressure sensor to the one I removed and now with the fresh oil change and filter with old sensor I’m getting steady oil pressure.

Now long story short I discovered fram filters aren’t what they use to be. I’m chalking all the grief up to the filter. I’ll report back if things change.

my apologies for the novel. I wanted to be as thorough as possible.

Old 09-24-2023, 06:22 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Alaskantrailblazer
A few weeks ago I changed the oil in the ole blazer and I used a fram oil filter and supertech oil. My oil pressure was all over the map and even read zero psi at one point. I changed the sensor under the distributor which isn’t to hard to change with the distributor left in place and I have huge bear paws for hands! After a quick test drive the oil pressure was worse. No psi at idle but yet no knocking or rattling. I did another fresh oil change with a wix filter and oriellys 5w30 along with Lucas oil stabilizer. The oil pressure was the same. Zero to maybe 10 psi at 55 mph. I swapped out the oil pressure sensor to the one I removed and now with the fresh oil change and filter with old sensor I’m getting steady oil pressure.

Now long story short I discovered fram filters aren’t what they use to be. I’m chalking all the grief up to the filter. I’ll report back if things change.

Thanks for sharing.

Wow, that is weird about the Fram filter being the issue.

Old 11-07-2023, 06:14 PM
Beginning Member
03_BLAZER is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Alaskantrailblazer

I dont understand how the fram filter is the problem? Ive been using the fram filter for a good two years now with synthetic and no problems. Truck is at 220k now