Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Lifter Tick

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 01:18 PM
Starting Member
nineTnine is on a distinguished road
Default Lifter Tick

Not long after I got my Blazer, winter came to Iowa along with this horrendous noise (scared the hell outta me when it showed up unwelcome one morning). It only would show up if the temp dropped below 30 and luckily I was taking it in for the intake gaskets later that week, so I asked them when i brought it in and showed them this video (naturally they couldn't reproduce the noise). They said it was the lifters and they would run a cleaner through the oil before they did the gaskets to try to clear it out because they had to change the oil anyway. They did and the noise didn't go completely away, but now you have to be next to it and actually listen for it. This was last winter and I haven't put much thought into it until I read this,
Originally Posted by Ryanmatt135
its the lower intake gasket, coolant is getting in the oil and making the lifters noisy. im guessing your using dex-cool antofreeze? if so i would say to stop using right away. tear down the motor to the heads (remove upper and lower intake) replace old leaking gasket with felpro gasket kit part number FPG MS98002T. thats the metal one, best you can buy. and flush out the cooling system and use the green antifreeze, it doesnt deterioate the gaskets and seals, do anm oil change right after and you should be good as new!
They put the metal gaskets in ad filled it with a pinkish "generic" antifreeze but I was wondering if this was the case for my truck and if it actually damaged anything internal or shortened its life....
Here's what it sounded like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erZC7nY37xQ

Video on Photobucket, click to view I guess...

Sorry for the long post
Thanks for any help!

Last edited by nineTnine; 01-21-2011 at 01:23 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:30 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

damn, what oil/filter you running ?

if your running 5-30 id try that lucas oil stabilizer

Old 01-21-2011, 04:47 PM
Starting Member

At the time it was some oil from a quick change place, it was changed the day before I bought it. Ever since then its had Valvoline 5-30 and a Fram filter

Old 01-21-2011, 05:08 PM
BF Veteran

bingo, do some research on that fram filter. not saying thats it, but apparently they are terrible, and cant hold oil well in the top of the motor.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:37 PM
Starting Member

It didn't have the Fram filter on it when it was ticking, it was a no name filter. This was awhile ago, I was just wondering if coolant getting in the oil from a leaking manifold gasket would cause that noise and if it damaged anything. The oil was the correct color while it was leaking, it would leave a small puddle of coolant under the truck so I don't think it was going in the engine but don't know, hence this thread

Old 01-21-2011, 11:38 PM
Starting Member

I've always used fram filters, but just recently heard all the bad things about them. I thought that my oil in both vehicles got really dark a lot sooner than it should, is that one of the problems with Fram? I just bought the heavy duty one to go one soon

Old 01-23-2011, 01:32 PM
BF Veteran

well you'll know right away if you have coolant in your oil as your dipstick will say way overfull and most likey (if its bad) will turn a gross milky white. on top of that your coolant will seemingly disappear because your motor is eating it.

will a little bit of coolant in the oil make it sound like that? i highly doubt it.

Try to pinpoint your leak, might be just a hose, or loose clamp. if your intake is indeed leaking, and from the back of the motor, it will be very hard to see without some slick mirror and flashlight action.

but if its in the front, it will be easy. they usually leak from the corners, so behind and under the a/c compressor. or opposite side under alternator, just to the left of the egr, thats the only spot mine leaked.

other things to check are the underside of the oil filler cap, check for water droplets, and gross white goo stuff. thats the highest point in the system, and where water vapour will go and form water.

check your oil daily if you suspect a lower intake leak, thats your best defense.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:52 PM
Beginning Member
blazer7630 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've got this same problem. The lifters aren't getting enough oil to them, I don't know complete details on why this happens and if its causing damage, but I do have a fix for you. From now on only run Castrol 30 Weight oil. Its alot thicker and it will keep those lifters lubricated. It has to be straight 30 weight. Most places carry it but some will not since its not a common oil used especially with newer cars today. I had an old mechanic fill me in on this secret when mine first did this about 6 years ago. I thought the engine was going to blow or a helicopter was over me ?! But you will notice immediately that it stops that chatter as soon as you change the oil. If you change back to a regular 10w-30 the chatter will come back so you have to stick to 30 weight. I've been running it 6+ years and no problem.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:01 PM
Ryanmatt135 is an unknown quantity at this point

If your still having the problem after the gaskets were replaced then i would suspect a "damaged beyond repair" lifter. basicly the coolant thined out the oil and the lifter cant pump up all the way to get rid of valve lash. if the lifter goes too long not pumping up all the way, you are banging parts together and wearing them down (lifter, pushrod, and rocker arm). once parts are wore down their is no comming back. who ever did the intake gaskests should have inspected the pushrods and lifters while they were in there.

When i did my gaskets i replaced all the lifters and pushrods because the engine had 130,000 on it and on one lifter was collapased.

concerning the fram filters....they have a oil check valve (cardboard insert) that is supose to hold oil from back flowing through the filter after the truck is turned off. the carboard is crap. i have allways used NAPA gold filters, they have a rubber gasket that acts as the check valve (instead of cardboard).....

check out these two links...

https://blazerforum.com/forum/lounge-5/eye-opener-about-oil-filters-39608/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/n...ers-me-589979/

Old 02-10-2011, 11:33 PM
Starting Member

It still ticks very quietly for a few seconds nowadays (gaskets changed '09, always wondered about this but never posted) but you have to listen for it so I wondered if that meant it was damaged or if that was normal. Thanks for the info, I was recently told to try seafoam through the oil before I change it to try to help clean it up inside

Quick Reply: Lifter Tick