Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

loud transmission

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2021 | 01:35 AM
|
just trying is on a distinguished road
Default loud transmission

Hi, my 06 4.2l TB with 184000 miles had a slight trans pan gasket leak, I took it to a shop and had it checked. The mechanic said there was an intermitted noise from the trans too. He recommended a trans filter and gasket repair. After this was done, I picked up my TB and noticed that my trans sounded louder, revved really high with bad acceleration, I was afraid to drive over 40mph, after taking it back to the shop, they said I now need a trans rebuild due to backpressure problems costing $2000! Prior to the fluid filter change, these problems did not exist! no gear shift or acceleration problems and sounded normal. What could be my problem, I need help, could it be the solenoids

Old 02-22-2021 | 06:41 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Sounds like your mechanic is your problem. If I had to guess (and I do), I would say me may not have gotten the filter inserted all the way and it's sucking air. If you don't have a way to pull the pan and check yourself, I would take it to a reputable transmission shop for a second opinion before letting him rebuild it.

Old 02-23-2021 | 08:54 AM
Transman304 is on a distinguished road

When a vehicle shows up for just a leak repair with that kind of mileage I will save drained fluid and reuse it and top it off with new fluid. There are many opinions on fluid changes on vehicles with high mileage and no service history. I will turn down the job to change the fluid in a high mileage vehicle without a service history. Over the years I've learned that when a customer shows up wanting a fluid and filter service it's not for regular maintenance. It's when they feel something is wrong and the cheapest shot at a repair is the F&F. Unfortunately you have chosen the wrong repair shop for this type of repair.

Possible that they broke a solenoid when removing or installing the pan, a very common occurrence. The poor acceleration and revving higher sounds like the transmission is in limp (failsafe) mode and starting off in 2nd or 3rd gear. As @Tom A mentioned a filter that is cracked or not fully seated will produce noise. Did you notice the noise before the leak was repaired? Is the Service Engine light on?
Brad